What's the best sub £200 headphone amp to suit HD600's
May 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Purpleaardvark

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I've recently bought a pair of HD600's and have connected them in to my Cyrus hifi, which comprises of

Cyrus CD8X / PSX-R , PreVs2 / PSX-R , a pair of Mono X's and Focal 816WSE's

Now these headphones are a real gem however i get the feeling that the headphone output on the PreVs2 is hold back these cans? They don't have as much life to them as my speakers.

Am i expecting too much from these phones?
Will a headphone amp sub £200 be much of an improvement on the PreVs2?
I have considered the likes of the MF V Can, Little Dot III, Darkvoice 336, ANT Amber 3T, Graham Slee.

I'm going to mainly use my cans late at night to listen to CD's and the TV which are all plumbed in to the Pre.
I mainly listen to rock, dance, rap, pop and occasionally classical and consider myself to be a bit of a bass head
darthsmile.gif

Any advice will be gratefully received

May 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I mainly listen to rock, dance, rap, pop and occasionally classical and consider myself to be a bit of a bass head

Maybe hd 600 is just not right for your sound preferences.

Found this few days ago , know that they are not the same but maybe they share same hp out

Quote:

Re: Headphone amp for AKG 701

Just finished an audition of the Heed can amp, Lehmann Rhinelander, Rega ear and Naim Headline.  I was really hoping to be blown away by one of these amps, but honestly the differences between them and my Cyrus 8vs were small. 

The Lehmann and Heed, to me sounded similar.  Maybe a slightly bigger soundstage to my 8vs, but not enough of a difference to justify paying 350-400 pounds for.

The Rega didn't stand out.  The Naim didn't, in my opinion, dig up any extra detail but had quite a nice laid back sound.  Vocals and treble were set back compared to Cyrus, which seem to be towards the front of the soundstage.

While I was in the shop I thought I would try a couple of headphones, the Sennheiser HD595 and Grado 60i.  The Senns I didn't like at all.  They sounded as though I had put cotton wool in my ears before hand.  The Grado were ok but lacked the detail and bass control of my AKG 701. 

I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't find an amp that really impressed me, but glad I did a proper audition and have saved my money.

May 19, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Cheers Daniel & Loopfreek for the info.
I'm happy with the overall balance of the headphones albeit that are a shade bass light for my preference, however they are stunning performers and i got a great deal on them too!!
dt880smile.png

I'm liking the look of the Matrix M is it really a copy / clone of the Lehmann linear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back