What's the best solid state headphone amp today?
Jan 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #61 of 91
I've made my decision for the best SS amp! I am going to attend Can Jam which is a short drive from where I live and make my decision based on what I hear. Plus who knows what's coming down the pike and arriving at the show. Hard to do but I'll be patient and wait. I'd have to say reading all this I'm really interested in the B22. Anyone here have a suggestion for who to get to build it? I'd get the 4 board(balanced, might as well getting a custom build) and a separate power supply or at least that's what I think. I really like the Grace but I don't want a built in DAC because they are ever evolving and I believe someone computer related will come up w/a USB Asynchronouss DAC that will be $1,000 or under. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Keith

PS Mike. I really looking forward to the shootout w/the amps and phones adding the Ultrasone's.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headroom balanced max (have to find one used though) but i still prefer tubes.

The Headroom BUDA (expecially when paired with the UDAC and DPS) is an exceptionally good balanced amp. There's possibly not a lot of experience with it yet on Head-Fi, since it's a relatively new product, but I think it holds its own quite well compared to other top s-s headphone amps.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #64 of 91
You should also read, if not done already, this thread I started a while ago

HIgh-end SS amp

Bottom line, I've been convinced the B22 was the one. I really wanted to stay away from DIY but here I am... I'm building my own B22 without previous experience and .. so far so good !
I'll keep you posted once I'll be done.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #65 of 91
I'd rather have a well-built Luxman or GS-X than attempt to DIY a Beta myself, because a poorly built uberamp can't be considered high end.

Of course, if I could get my hands on say a Rockhopper or Nugget Beta... that's high end stuff.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #66 of 91
Sonicweld/Locus Design soon to be released balanced DECODER. It's going to be a reference level Dac/ Amp/Pre. reported to be a total "game changer." Given Josh's design standards, it will also be a piece of audio art! Down side is it will be spendy.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, if I could get my hands on say a Rockhopper or Nugget Beta... that's high end stuff.

been trying than on the fs forum, but they're heavy and usually conus only
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #68 of 91
B22. I got mine built by a member here and I couldn't be happier. Its the best SS I have heard.

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #69 of 91
Only sound good is not every thing. The tone, balanced, and the ability to make music alive, are more important than mere level of detail retrival, the width of soundstage, etc.....

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #70 of 91
The best SS amp I heard at RMAF was, hands down, the EXStatA by Cavalli Audio. It is a DIY design, with full parts lists and building instructions for both the SS and hybrid versions. It is incredibly life-like and dynamic on all the Elctrostatic headphones that Larry helped me with. I think there was one set that sounded better than the rest and they also were fairly low priced.

Ask the experts. This was a joy to listen to and was so much better than any SS (and, I will add, tube) amp I heard that day....which included the ZDT and the 300B SET amp from Woo.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonicweld/Locus Design soon to be released balanced DECODER. It's going to be a reference level Dac/ Amp/Pre. reported to be a total "game changer." Given Josh's design standards, it will also be a piece of audio art! Down side is it will be spendy.

link?

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #72 of 91
Bump.
In 2012.
Any price.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #75 of 91
I always thought the Beta22 and the Soloist were top of the line SS amps. (despite the solo have only a few months out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back