What's right with this picture? (DT880...
Feb 9, 2003 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
newcable%20halfsize.jpg

Give up?

Hint: Canare purple star quad cable was not stock on the DT880s. Infuriating curleycable was (may it rest in peace, knot!).

gerG

Feb 9, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 15
BEAUTIFUL!

and how does it sound?

actually I'll find out tomorrow when you come over with the DT770 and Headroom Max.

Matt will be bringing over his modified Sony, Melos, W2002, CD3000 and ICs. Man, am I going to be able to fit all of that in my Miata? I don't think so. Guess he's going to have to put everything on the floor or on his lap.

Gentlemen, expect a mini-Meet report tomorrow
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 15
The Beyers were 4 wire, and still are. They have a junction tab in the left earcup. I thought about rewiring the jump from left to right, but decided to stop short of that. I was also seriously considering a dual cable setup, but I don't have a balanced amp. As soon as I pick up another Max (and a balanced source) I will be able to run in balanced mode, then everything gets 2 cables!

gerG

Feb 9, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 15
Would you mind posting a brief instruction set for the cable swap upgrade? I have a pair for DT880's on the way from Meier Audio and am interested in upgrading the cable also.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 15
Looks great!
Will be interested to hear your preliminary reports with the canare cable.
Could you post the comparison between the stock and the canare cables after your mini-meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 15
All it would involve is opening up the side of the 'phones with the wires on it, and cutting it off. Beyerdynamic cords are typically fairly painless to replace

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Greg, Quote:

As soon as I pick up another Max (and a balanced source) I will be able to run in balanced mode, then everything gets 2 cables!

You are a VERY sick man. There is no hope for you. STOP! do not pass Go. you are very sick and we need to take you to a phsychiatrict ward for observation. We might as well put separate power supplies in the Headroom Max. Oh, it's got that. Please step into this striat jacket. It will not hurt. Come along peacefully. It's alright. No one will harm you. Yes, we have a nice listening room set up. Carey Cd players and DACs galore. Yes, you can bring your cd equipment with you. Take as many CDs as you'd like.. This way sir. We have many Head-FI'ers there. They will be happy to meet you.

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 15
I've already got a jacket with sleeves that tie in the back, thanks.

Full balanced dual cable is just the first step, of course. I really want cans with 2 drivers per side biamped with fully balanced push-pull monoblocks. Medusa was really just an audioadict with quad cable cans!

The cable swap was easy, and would be similar on the DT770, etc. The only twist was the strain relief. What you see in the photo is a spring out of a Canare connector (same as the plug end). I had to enlarge the stock (square) hole to fit it in. It worked out primo. 2 solder joints directly to the left driver, plus 2 to the junction block to the right side. The star-quad has 4 conductors (twisted-twisted pairs). Shield was soldered to ground at the plug end only. Tip: a dental explorer tool works great for unbraiding shielding.

btw, I would have used grey cable, but purple I had, so purple I used.

gerG

Feb 9, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I really want cans with 2 drivers per side biamped with fully balanced push-pull monoblocks. Medusa was really just an audioadict with quad cable cans!

Sick. I told you. There is no hope for this man.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 15
The sound, well they sounded great before the mod, and they sound great after the mod. Tough to tell if it made any change since I can't go back, but I doubt it. I will re-listen to some familiar music and see if anything shows up. I got focussed on the bass thing last night.

Cost of materials was $8.50, plus a couple of inches of 4% silver solder that I went through. It is difficult to use, so I tend to waste a lot of it. Oh, add another $2.50 for the connector that I swiped the strain relief spring from. It is still useable, but that would be the cost of that part. The plug and cable are both Canare, and I ordered them from Markertek.

I can post a picture if anybody needs it. I would have, but I was anxious to get them back together and plugged in. It was so nice having a real connector on the end of a real cable. Serious improvement to ergonomics, and an improvement in sound because I don't have to use the extension cable anymore.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back