Whats out there besides the Reag Planet 2000 thats worth considering?
Jan 28, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 20
There are many excellent players among the ones recommended. However, as we all know, CD players produce no sound at all on their own. So the real key is system matching - i.e., how well the components in your system interact with one another.

I can recommend the mid-priced Rotel players at least in the context of my own system - Cary preamp, Rotel amp and Vandersteen speakers. They are well built, have quality DAC's and last forever.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #17 of 20
I really like my Shanling CD S-100 MK II with op amps replaced with six BB OPA 627's. Not sure how it compares with all those other machines recommended though.

Seems like you're lucky that there are so many decent cd players ... hard part is to just pick one
biggrin.gif

Good luck ... Gord SW Ont.

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 20
i like my rega planet cdp just fine with my stax 404's and the kgss or the 006t. however if you don't like the laid back/warm sound this player is not for you, the kgss makes the detail in the rega shine. although the nad c541i is also a great player for the money and will outdo some of the more expensive players in it's range from what i've heard and read. i haven't ab'd it against anything else but the rega and the rega outdoes the nad but for the money you can't beat the nad. hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
What was the associated equipment? Did you test all these players in the same system? I have to ask because your impressions are almost the opposite of what I found when I auditioned the 640C.

I think Der Wolf might have heard a green unit. The 640C seems to take at least 50+ hours of burn-in to become listenable. The unit has a sticker on it suggesting 36 hours, but mine was sounding exactly as Der Wolf described even at the 36 hour mark. The mid-range was recessed, and female vocalists like Stevie Nicks in particular seemed to get lost. Treble really stood out in contrast to the weak mids, which might also explain Der Wolf's "harsh treble". I was thinking of returning it at that point, but thankfully stuck it out.

It has smoothed out immensely since then (I have about 80 hours on mine), and now sounds much as you and Tuberoller described in your posts a few weeks ago. It is on the warm/laid back side - don't get it expecting in-your-face details. That's exactly what I wanted in a player at work, where I use mine, but now find myself wanting to take it home at night as well.

Oh yeah, I'm running a Maxed Out Home Reference and Senn 280s and 650s...

Jan 30, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 20
Faustus is correct,I used the Purist Audio Design, System Enhancer (Burn in Cd).With my azul 640c it took about 15 hours of using this Burn in CD and boy did this player come into it's full potential.
I 'am Using Senneiser HD 650/ Mobius Zu Cable/Berning MicroZotl/Audience AU 24 interconnect between amp and CD player.Exact Power Balance Line conditioner for the Amp and CD player.
Note:15 hours on the Purist Audio burn in CD equals about 150+ hours of music playtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back