what's more important, a good DAC or a Good Amp?
Oct 13, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #46 of 129
IMO a DAC is more important, it can change the sound quality dramatically. An amp is just for extra volume (which can also be very important with high impedance headphones) so just have both built in :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 129
When talking surround sound it can get really nuts in terms of total speakers - you have both "input channels" (e.g 5.1 from a DVD) and "output channels" (actual speakers in the room) - the two don't have to match as long there is a widget in between that can "bridge" whatever to whatever. As far as I know 7.1 discrete is still the top-end (ignoring Atmos because that's a whole 'nother can of worms), but there are receivers and SSPs that can do at least 11-12 main channels and up to four LFE channels, and DSP solutions could take you beyond that if you really wanted. IME such systems really aren't "worth it" in a smaller room, but that can heavily depend on the room, the speakers, and the DSP(s) involved. An example of "greater than 7.1" would be a system with multiple delayed rows of surrounds (this is how many movie theaters are set-up due to their size). For headphones I'm a much bigger fan of just stereo - I haven't tried the very latest and greatest 5.1 or 7.1 headphones but the ones I remember from a few years ago weren't (imho) as good sounding as a nice hi-fi stereo pair. That may have changed for all I know though; some of the newer models look pretty slick.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 129
When talking surround sound it can get really nuts in terms of total speakers - you have both "input channels" (e.g 5.1 from a DVD) and "output channels" (actual speakers in the room) - the two don't have to match as long there is a widget in between that can "bridge" whatever to whatever. As far as I know 7.1 discrete is still the top-end (ignoring Atmos because that's a whole 'nother can of worms), but there are receivers and SSPs that can do at least 11-12 main channels and up to four LFE channels, and DSP solutions could take you beyond that if you really wanted. IME such systems really aren't "worth it" in a smaller room, but that can heavily depend on the room, the speakers, and the DSP(s) involved. An example of "greater than 7.1" would be a system with multiple delayed rows of surrounds (this is how many movie theaters are set-up due to their size). For headphones I'm a much bigger fan of just stereo - I haven't tried the very latest and greatest 5.1 or 7.1 headphones but the ones I remember from a few years ago weren't (imho) as good sounding as a nice hi-fi stereo pair. That may have changed for all I know though; some of the newer models look pretty slick.

Thanks for the info.  I really wanted a 7.1 virtual headphones, but the soundstage on the Pioneer HRM-7's were Excellent!  The problem is they were too bright....

I guess to me it doesn't matter as long as the sound stage is there, and I can hear all around me.   I'm not sure if the sound is just "in front" of me with these "Stereo headphones" or what?

I know when changing Stereo to 5.1 and such on the Pioneers they were different.....

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #49 of 129
If what you want is a surround type sound. I think that you must start with the headphones, then the amp and source. For gaming or movies, if you want a large sound stage that has depth. I would say akg 702 on the cheap-ish or, go for broke and get some Stax. Simplifies the amp portion a bit. However, my favorite gaming setup of all time was a Spritzer modded srd-7 driven by a speaker amp and some old Lambda Stax headspeakers. Dac was a modded ps audio which I bought used on audiogon for cheap. BF2 sound real. Crazy depth to the sound as I could hear people running clear across a map.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #50 of 129
  If what you want is a surround type sound. I think that you must start with the headphones, then the amp and source. For gaming or movies, if you want a large sound stage that has depth. I would say akg 702 on the cheap-ish or, go for broke and get some Stax. Simplifies the amp portion a bit. However, my favorite gaming setup of all time was a Spritzer modded srd-7 driven by a speaker amp and some old Lambda Stax headspeakers. Dac was a modded ps audio which I bought used on audiogon for cheap. BF2 sound real. Crazy depth to the sound as I could hear people running clear across a map.

hmm...  Yeah i feel the HPs sound great.

I've been thinking about STAX, but would probably want to wait until I can afford a higher end pair.

As for other pairs, you can check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/784392/need-help-finding-a-pair-of-headphones-for-around-300

Which is my searching thread for a good pair :)

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #51 of 129
Thanks for the info.  I really wanted a 7.1 virtual headphones, but the soundstage on the Pioneer HRM-7's were Excellent!  The problem is they were too bright....

I guess to me it doesn't matter as long as the sound stage is there, and I can hear all around me.   I'm not sure if the sound is just "in front" of me with these "Stereo headphones" or what?

I know when changing Stereo to 5.1 and such on the Pioneers they were different.....

If you're coming from a computer, the soundcard (or software - there's a lot of software-based solutions these days) can have a big impact on he "surround" experience, especially if you're sourcing from something that's originally produced for surround sound (like a DVD or videogame that supports surround). For music it generally will come in stereo, and I'm a fan of native playback (so stereo -> stereo), but there are software packages that try to "expand" stereo music as well. I agree with the AKG K7xx suggestion if you're after a big sound-stage.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #52 of 129

hmm...  Yeah i feel the HPs sound great.

I've been thinking about STAX, but would probably want to wait until I can afford a higher end pair.

As for other pairs, you can check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/784392/need-help-finding-a-pair-of-headphones-for-around-300

Which is my searching thread for a good pair :)

Thanks!

Many people say that even teh low-end STAX sound realky, really good.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 129

They'll sound more transparent than any non-electrostat I'm sure.  My puny SR-30 electret is more transparent than my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro.  The rest is up to the headphone though.  All of the Lambdas are known to have much smaller sound stages than headphones such as the Beyer DT 880 and DT 990, Audio Technica open backs, AKG Q701/K701/K702/K7xx/K712, HiFiMan HE-500, and others.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #55 of 129
IME with Koss electrostats, they are faster, more detailed, more transparent, etc but the presentation is entirely different than that of a dynamic can, and the soundstage isn't always bigger (although I've not heard any ESP that's "closed in" or "congested" sounding). No idea how/if this translates to STAX cans.

Yeah electrostats don't seem to have an inherent sound stage advantage or disadvantage; there are plenty with small sound stages and plenty with large ones.  But electrostats being faster, more detailed, and more transparent are inherent benefits of the technology.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #56 of 129
Yeah electrostats don't seem to have an inherent sound stage advantage or disadvantage; there are plenty with small sound stages and plenty with large ones.  But electrostats being faster, more detailed, and more transparent are inherent benefits of the technology.

They're planar radiators, which makes their presentation unique vs dynamic cans - I've not tried any PMs but I'm assuming they are more similar than different in that respect, as they are also planar radiators. Just from experience with ESPs I know that the overall size of the element does impact the presentation - bigger generally is better. :xf_eek:

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #57 of 129
If you're coming from a computer, the soundcard (or software - there's a lot of software-based solutions these days) can have a big impact on he "surround" experience, especially if you're sourcing from something that's originally produced for surround sound (like a DVD or videogame that supports surround). For music it generally will come in stereo, and I'm a fan of native playback (so stereo -> stereo), but there are software packages that try to "expand" stereo music as well. I agree with the AKG K7xx suggestion if you're after a big sound-stage.

Thanks for the info.  It seems that's how it is with music, I always thought there was some 5.1 music, and that stereo was "oldschool," but I guess that isn't the case...

I was recommended the AKG K7xx (is xx supposed to stand for a variable for some number or is the actual model xx)?

I was also recommended the Senn 600, the Oppo PM3, and a couple of Sony Headphones....

Not sure what I want though...   Will have to read up on a lot of them..  :frowning2:

TheOppo sounds interesting, but it seems to be lacking Soundstage so Idk...  It would be nice to auditon a some of these... :frowning2:

Quote:

Yeah, that's what it seems like,t hey just look weird :p.  Idk which pair I would look into though...

They'll sound more transparent than any non-electrostat I'm sure.  My puny SR-30 electret is more transparent than my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro.  The rest is up to the headphone though.  All of the Lambdas are known to have much smaller sound stages than headphones such as the Beyer DT 880 and DT 990, Audio Technica open backs, AKG Q701/K701/K702/K7xx/K712, HiFiMan HE-500, and others.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "Transparent?"     Interesting info on the sound stage.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #58 of 129
The K7XX is an actual Limited Edition can sold by Massdrop - the name is making fun of all the variants of the model (K701,702,Q701,K702-65th,K712). It's probably the best value on the market IMHO.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #59 of 129
  The K7XX is an actual Limited Edition can sold by Massdrop - the name is making fun of all the variants of the model (K701,702,Q701,K702-65th,K712). It's probably the best value on the market IMHO.

Well, they were 200$ according to massdrop, but they aren't around anymore then, unless used????

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #60 of 129
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones they're being sold again rn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back