what's like.. the portablest amp out there
Jan 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need a line out to get the benefits of this amp (Xin Supermicro IV), or can I use it out of the headphone jack to get much better sound out of my MP3-capable phone (Sanyo MM-9000)?

You don't need a line out. Most people prefer using a line out signal though.

Quote:

so it would be great if I could get great sound quality out of it (and it would allow me to hold off on a dedicated MP3 player).

I have to ask, and advise you here. How is the sound without an amp?
Cell phone MFRs would likely not place much value on SQ
frown.gif

An amp will not make a bad device sound much, if any, better.

Amplifiers take the signal from the source (which is often not powerful enough) and boost it so you can drive the headphones. If the signal being amplified to begin with, is an ugly one, the amp won't fix it. And also, the same goes for the headphones you're using (you didn't mention which)... if the headphones are cheap, like iBuds or buck store variety... you'll have no love there either.

Good power > good source > good cable > good amp > good headphones.
Any of those things being "not so good" will effect the end result.

Hopefully this will help you avoid some disappointment. By all means, do try an amp! If it turns out not so great, you'll just be that much further ahead. Next step would then be to buy an expandable memory, flash based MP3 player that can use your existing amp, phones, and SD card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need a line out. Most people prefer using a line out signal though.

I have to ask, and advise you here. How is the sound without an amp?
Cell phone MFRs would likely not place much value on SQ
frown.gif

An amp will not make a bad device sound much, if any, better.

Amplifiers take the signal from the source (which is often not powerful enough) and boost it so you can drive the headphones. If the signal being amplified to begin with, is an ugly one, the amp won't fix it. And also, the same goes for the headphones you're using (you didn't mention which)... if the headphones are cheap, like iBuds or buck store variety... you'll have no love there either.

Good power > good source > good cable > good amp > good headphones.
Any of those things being "not so good" will effect the end result.

Hopefully this will help you avoid some disappointment. By all means, do try an amp! If it turns out not so great, you'll just be that much further ahead. Next step would then be to buy an expandable memory, flash based MP3 player that can use your existing amp, phones, and SD card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply!

I am currently using an OEM version of Creative EP630 most of the time (as mentioned in previous post
icon10.gif
). I also have KSC-75s, PX-200s, and Grado SR-60s for various purposes.

The un-amped sound from the phone is... 'OK'. Clear, but not much bass. I was pleasantly surprised that it isn't completley awful. Somewhat tinny. The only thing I have to compare it to is my Sony D-777 PCDP, and of course there is no contest there. I wasn't necessarily expecting the amp to improve it to that level, but I was hoping that it could help bring out the lower frequencies, at least.

Regarding the amp - it would seem from your comment that amps don't improve the sound quality, but instead just let you use higher-impedance headphones with the player. From reading these forums this seems to contradict what people are implying, if not directly stating - that amps do improve sound quality compared to using the same headphones unamped. ???

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The un-amped sound from the phone is... 'OK'. Clear, but not much bass. I was pleasantly surprised that it isn't completley awful. Somewhat tinny. The only thing I have to compare it to is my Sony D-777 PCDP, and of course there is no contest there. I wasn't necessarily expecting the amp to improve it to that level, but I was hoping that it could help bring out the lower frequencies, at least.

Regarding the amp - it would seem from your comment that amps don't improve the sound quality, but instead just let you use higher-impedance headphones with the player. From reading these forums this seems to contradict what people are implying, if not directly stating - that amps do improve sound quality compared to using the same headphones unamped. ???

Headphones require power, they are just little speakers.

Take a 3-way loudspeaker with a 12" woofer connected to the speaker output of a $50 mini-bookshelf system, this will sound very poor. The 5 watts from the reciever isn't enough to drive the speaker.

But take a 4" full range speaker, like the one designed for the shelf system, and it'll likely sound much better. Because there is adequate power to drive that little thing.

In both cases... you're hearing the same exact thing. The same signal coming from the same media read by the same electronic device. The only thing lacking here was power.

Thats where an amplifier would jump in.

Now the amplifier doesn't do much to change the signal, but since this signal is passing through components, theres going to be *some* effects. You can't avoid that, so you try to at least use components which effect in a good way... instead of negative.

Anyways, in the end, the higher powered signal coming out of the amp, allows the headphone to reach it's full potential. Just as if you connected that 12" 3-way loudspeaker to a 100watt reciever.

Your situation could be one of weak headphone jack power output, but it's hard to tell by guessing, since a source can suffer from poor frequency reproduction too. You should try an amp on it though, then put the amp on your PCDP and listen. I think you'll probably see what I'm saying then.
basshead.gif

To be clearer..
amps DO improve sound quality, if your problem is lack of power.

Amps do not improve sound quality, if your problem is a bad signal, it'll just amplify the problem in most cases like this.

A good amplifier is a transparent one, one which does not have any noticeable effect, or coloring of the music, whatsoever. You're supposed to seek pure music reproduction... as if you were in the audience at a concert. Theres all sorts of processors and crap to change sound, but thats artificial and never seems to work out real well. At least, it isn't "real"

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the following pictures help to put the amp size in context. Click on the thumbnail to see the full size pic.

Firstly that's a great pic to show the difference between the sizes (and shows just how small the macro is!)

I know it's a bit off-topic but do you know what the difference in size is between the Headphonia and the PA2V2? I'm considering the Headphonia but I'd like to be able to have a rough idea how big the thing is by comaprison to what I already have.

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly that's a great pic to show the difference between the sizes (and shows just how small the macro is!)

I know it's a bit off-topic but do you know what the difference in size is between the Headphonia and the PA2V2? I'm considering the Headphonia but I'd like to be able to have a rough idea how big the thing is by comaprison to what I already have.

Thanks.

The Headphonia is almost the same height and width as the PA2V2. However the Headphonia is about 20 to 25 mm longer. I am going by memory since I do not have a PA2V2 at hand. The Headphonia is a nice sounding unit.

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #23 of 25
Thanks mrarroyo.

I don't think that difference will make much of a difference to me to be honest (at least not with the bag that I've got for my iPod+amp to go in)

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 25
I'd be wary of the Minibox. Seems TOO small. Not enough room for jacks. And I've always hated that kind of volume control.

Wouldn't mind hearing the Xtra X-1, though. Someone needs to buy a bulk stock, do hardware upgrades to them, and resell them here. Heheh.

-Packgrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back