What's a serious upgrade (closed back, better soundstage) from Sennheiser HD25?
Dec 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tedv

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a serious upgrade from my Sennheiser HD-25 but am totally lost in all the options.

The set that I'm using is:

Sansa Fuze V2 (RockBox FW w/ lineout patch) player
Line out cable upgraded with Nichicon Bi-polar caps
Ibasso D-Zero amplifier
Sennheiser HD-25 headphone & Yuin PK1 earbuds

Things that I like in the HD-25 are the detailed sound (compared to cheaper headphones) and the solid bass and the isolation, both for myself as for my surroundings.

Things I would like to improve upon:

Comfort - I have the velour pads on my HD-25 but after an hour or so my ears start to hurt - so I'm looking for an 'around-ear' or more comfortable 'over-ear'

Soundstage - I've read that soundstage is always limited on a closed-back headphone compared to open-back but this is my key item for improvement.

I play mostly FLAC, 16b/44K, or downsampled higher resolution stuff. Music various from classical to pop and rock (Pink Floyd), but strings (guitar and violin) are the common theme in most genres. Jazz, a-capella vocals and wind instruments hardly get any playtime.

Budget is around $500/EUR 500

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Both of these are well under budget, but are well worth considering:

Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR-R1

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 6
If you are looking at an improvement in soundstage I would consider trying the AKG K500. It's brother the K551 is suposed to be released soon with a portable length cable.

From my recollection of the HD25 I believe you might notice a slight reduction in bass but with a good seal it should not be much. They are very comfy due to large soft pads. Not recommended for glasses wearers.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks, do you have any experience with those compared to the HD25?

Look into the Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers. Has a highly acclaimed soundstage (for a closed phone), great isolation, and comfort. 

Also do not recommend the K550... lacking in bass compared to the HD25. Great isolation however. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 6
The soundstage on the Sony MDR-1, Sennheiser Momentum and AKG K550/551 are bigger, with the AKG being the largest.

Both AKGs however have the least bass volume, which is LESS than the HD25. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back