Whats a good headphone amp for use as a Preamp, please
Jan 8, 2004 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

simonleemd

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am a newbie. I just joint in . I have been contemplating getting a better Preamp to replace the preamp section of my NAD C370.; for hooking up with other stereo sets(CDP and speakers). I am wondering if a good headphone amp such as Sugden HeadMaster (or perhaps other brand) would do the job well?
My budget is for less than $1200 (US). Your opinion and suggestions is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon

Jan 8, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Melos SHA-Gold is supposed to be a terrific pre-amp and headphone amp as well. I have not heard it -- only read reviews.

One huge caveat is that Melos is now defunct...

Jan 8, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 8
The Gilmore SE is another possibility in your price range. The new Stealth is a combination headphone amp and preamp that is available right now for the next week for 1400. No in-depth reviews yet though...

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 8
gilmore v2, gilmore v2se, melos sha-1, melos sha-x (good luck finding that one, there are TWO), melos sha-gold, melos maestro, corda prehead

i don't remember if the sugden had a preout or not, but some people dislike it's sound. I personally love sugden + etys, but it's just not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back