What's a good headamp/preamp?
Jun 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Like most rational people, I want everything I can possibly have. As such, I've become interested in combination headphone amplifiers and stereo preamps. I've looked at some excellent pieces like the Woo6, the B-52, and the Zana Deux, but these are somewhat out of my current price range and difficult to audition. I could save up, but that would require waiting.

Are there any good, reasonably inexpensive headphone amps with more than two inputs that are selectable from the faceplate? I know that's a lot to ask, but I've never been disappointed when it comes to head-fi.

For what it's worth, the amp will be driving a pair of HD 580s, and the preamp will drive an ever-changing retinue of FOTM amplifiers.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 20
just get the ZD, it's worth saving up for you won't regret it... and it's the best pre I've ever heard with the F1.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 20
Man, he only makes like five of them a year, and they're impossible to find used. Have you heard anything else to compare it to?

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, he only makes like five of them a year, and they're impossible to find used. Have you heard anything else to compare it to?

where did you get this information?

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 20
Courtesy of our own Ryan Clarin:
"Now Craig Uthus aka Mista Eddie Current decided to step out of the shadows of the Moth Xana with an updated version. The Zana Deux is "an attempt to have as much of that great sound as possible, to drive low and high impedance headphones and be more cost-effective." $1,900 is still a bundle of cash yet even with a limited production of 5-10 units a few times a year, the reputation of Craig under Moth Audio and Eddie Current as well as the lore of the Moth Xana has headfiers more than comfortable making the requisite deposits for their own slice of the legend." -6moons

-- I guess that could mean as many as 30 per year, built 5 - 10 at a time. 5 a year isn't entirely accurate.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 20
I'd say something in the Singlepower line, too. You can request many types of options that aren't mentioned anywhere except on the phone with J or Mikhail. Many are mentioned here (I think head-fi is the most authoritative SP site on the net. SP's website is probably the most out-of-date.) They have options for multiple inputs, pre-amp outputs, etc. I have two inputs on mine and their website doesn't show that they're now standard. I'm sure you can get as many inputs as will fit in the case. For a price, of course.

And as far as sound, I've never heard anything remotely as good as my MPX3. I was on a long audio quest in my youth, and listened to MANY "mortgage-your-house" class systems (even tho I was looking in the ~$1-2K/component range. I usually forgot to mention that until after the uber system demo :) and they don't compare. I haven't heard many HP amps, tho, and I know HP sound is far better per $. But there's nothing I don't like about my MPX3's sound, mod the recording of course. And even then, there're tube combos that can make most recordings sound good. Tubes're the ultimate tone control.

-=A=-

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 20
I also found that the Melos SHA-1 has a handful of selectable inputs, and seems reasonably well regarded. They go on ebay for bout $400. Any hope in that?

P.S. thanks for the Corda opera suggestion. I love the integrated DAC

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

P.S. thanks for the Corda opera suggestion. I love the integrated DAC

I've used my Opera Analog as a preamp for a few weeks on and off and it's very good indeed, quiet and dynamic. I could live perferfectly happily with it were it not for my tube pre's greater involvement and scale. The Opera does need to be switched off last, however, otherwise it passes the signal on at full volume which is bit worrying if you're not expecting it (I wasn't!).

best,

o

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

".... with a limited production of 5-10 units a few times a year, ...." -6moons

-- I guess that could mean as many as 30 per year, built 5 - 10 at a time. 5 a year isn't entirely accurate.

That jives much better; it could even be more than 30.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

"Now Craig Uthus aka Mista Eddie Current decided to step out of the shadows of the Moth Xana with an updated version. The Zana Deux is "an attempt to have as much of that great sound as possible, to drive low and high impedance headphones and be more cost-effective." $1,900 is still a bundle of cash yet even with a limited production of 5-10 units a few times a year, the reputation of Craig under Moth Audio and Eddie Current as well as the lore of the Moth Xana has headfiers more than comfortable making the requisite deposits for their own slice of the legend." -6moons

Sorry for the confusion - it should be interpreted as multiple runs throughout the year that consists of about 5-10 units per run, if not more. So far this year, in addition to the initial run of 5 units, he just completed his 2nd run, so I believe he is near 30 units out in the field. I would expect at least 2 more production runs by the end of the year, giving you 2 opportunities to get in while giving you some time to save up some dough.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I've looked at some excellent pieces like the Woo6, the B-52, and the Zana Deux, but these are somewhat out of my current price range and difficult to audition. I could save up, but that would require waiting.

Of the ones you listed, the Zana Deux is the only one worth buying as the circuit design is actually half-decent, the others fail miserable, and worse yet, all the money was put into the chassis work, exactly where you don't need it.

Quote:

Are there any good, reasonably inexpensive headphone amps with more than two inputs that are selectable from the faceplate? I know that's a lot to ask, but I've never been disappointed when it comes to head-fi.

Well, the Moon Audio Luna has intrigued me enough that I currently have one on order. I don't expect it to match my own custom creations, rather, it's more of a reality check to see what a well-designed commercially available amp is capable of. $2200 may sound a bit steep, however this is one of the incredibly few amps which meets my standards for good circuit design, and there's something like $600-$700 worth of high quality transformers & chokes alone. The overall markup is very low, it's a screaming bargain in the audio world.

Given that I've built amps with some of the transformers and a similar circuit topology, I expect it to have the smooth effortless sound of tubes but without the frequency roll-offs and bass control problems of regular (read as crappy) tube amps. Resolution should be excellent as well, limited mostly by the quality of the 6DJ8 input tubes of which unfortunately I'm rather leery. In any case, I'll know for sure once my amp arrives, though all indication look good.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Roam, I've read a lot of your comments about these astounding amps you build. When are you gonna open up and let us hear these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back