Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms?
Nov 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nickwin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first post here although I have been a reader for many years.  Anyways, I'm looking for an usb DAC and amp combo that will be a good match with DT990 250ohm pros. I'm currently using a Fiios E10, but it barely has enough power to drive these cans.  It could be a single unit or separate amp and DAC, but I would like to keep around or under $300 total. 

An amp with a laid back top end and controlled bass would be idea considering the 990s signature.  I listen to rock, indy, techno/house and a little bit of folk.  If anyone has any experience with good (or bad) matches for these cans please share! Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 7
What source(s) do you use with the headphones?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Mostly just my Mac book pro.  I may add a CD player at some point so analog inputs would be a plus but its really not a requirement.

I'm assuming the CD player is going to be a stand alone unit, might be good to get one with a digital output (USB, optical, coaxial) so you can put a good DAC between the CD player and whatever head amp. you get.

The O2/ODAC combo can easily drive the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and should sound sweet.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, connectivity for a cd player is not real important to me.  I would rather spend more money and get a nicer DAC than get a mid priced DAC and cd player...

the O2 + ODAC was definitely something I was looking at, have your heard this combo with dt990s?  A couple other options that crossed my mind:

Matrix Mini-i: I've spent some time with this DAC and K701s but not the dt990s.  I'm guessing the DAC would be a step up from the ODAC but the amp would be a step back from the O2.  I am on the right track?

HRT Music Streamer II and an Asgard, Shanling PH100 or other $250 range stand alone amp: I had a chance to listen to the DT990s with a MS II, PH100 combo,  it sounded pretty good, plenty of power, tons of detail, but I felt like it was a little too up front and a aggressive sounding for the 990s.  The PH100 is very bright and punchy and I am hoping I can find something with a little more laid back sound for the 990s.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, connectivity for a cd player is not real important to me.  I would rather spend more money and get a nicer DAC than get a mid priced DAC and cd player...

the O2 + ODAC was definitely something I was looking at, have your heard this combo with dt990s?  A couple other options that crossed my mind:

Matrix Mini-i: I've spent some time with this DAC and K701s but not the dt990s.  I'm guessing the DAC would be a step up from the ODAC but the amp would be a step back from the O2.  I am on the right track?

HRT Music Streamer II and an Asgard, Shanling PH100 or other $250 range stand alone amp: I had a chance to listen to the DT990s with a MS II, PH100 combo,  it sounded pretty good, plenty of power, tons of detail, but I felt like it was a little too up front and a aggressive sounding for the 990s.  The PH100 is very bright and punchy and I am hoping I can find something with a little more laid back sound for the 990s.

I have the DT990 (250 & 600-Ohm) and the O2, but not the ODAC, I connect the O2 to the RCA outputs on Essence STX. the combo works fine.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 7
My one complaint about the dt990s is they can be fatiguing with treble-centric recordings. Do you find the dt990s and ODAC to be a fatiguing combo?

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I would like to use the DAC with powered monitors as well.  It looks like the O2 + ODAC doesn't have a line out, but the ODAC does.  Looks like getting the separate ODAC and O2 only costs $20 more so I could go that route.

I'm also thinking about just getting the O2 first and using the E10s DAC to see what kind of improvment that gives me before adding an upgraded DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back