What would you compare the HE-5s to?
Aug 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
I know this is probably a hard question to answer...but I need to sell off my HE-5+CKKIII combo. Since I already have the awesome DNA Sonett, I'm wondering what pair of cans will give me similar SQ to the HE-5s?

Thanks all.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 12
HE-5s have a few things going for it.. a reasonably decent bass quantity/quality ratio (compared to say K701), great midrange, and massive amount of treble energy (Compared to the K701/2, the HE-5 have a lot more treble) It's also got a pretty decently sized soundstage.

What's your budget btw? I'm not sure if you're looking for a budget headphone, given that you want to sell off your headphone (but you seem to like it's sound signature), but your amp is also the very nice Sonett
smile_phones.gif

While I haven't read up on the new HE-5LE or HE-6, some headphones off the top of my head would be the PS1000 or T1, given the HE-5's more musical/natural (read:colored) nature. Budget options I'm not exactly sure, perhaps IEMs?

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Ok, I should have been more clear :)

I LOVE the HE-5s with female vocalists, re: k.d. lang. The soundstage just blew my mind! Everything sounds too shallow and closed in with my HF-2s and the Sonett. Just not the right can for k.d.

So I guess I want an open can for k.d. lang :D It still has to have great bass, wide soundstage and present vocals. Budget? Let's keep it at less than $400-$500. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
HE-5s have a few things going for it.. a reasonably decent bass quantity/quality ratio (compared to say K701), great midrange, and massive amount of treble energy (Compared to the K701/2, the HE-5 have a lot more treble) It's also got a pretty decently sized soundstage.

What's your budget btw? I'm not sure if you're looking for a budget headphone, given that you want to sell off your headphone (but you seem to like it's sound signature), but your amp is also the very nice Sonett
smile_phones.gif

While I haven't read up on the new HE-5LE or HE-6, some headphones off the top of my head would be the PS1000 or T1, given the HE-5's more musical/natural (read:colored) nature. Budget options I'm not exactly sure, perhaps IEMs?

I have heard both the 5LE and the 6 and IMO the 6 is much better but factor in a speaker amp into the equation and depending on the price can be expensive for the 6 setup. The 5LE sounds better with power than not. Careful amp selections is required for the LE

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
HE-5s have.......massive amount of treble energy (Compared to the K701/2, the HE-5 have a lot more treble)

OUCH!

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 12
The Sonett does not have the voltage swing that the HE-5s require. Don has said so himself. I've tested out the combo myself, and am sad to say it doesn't cut it.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 12
did you discuss the balanced option with Don? Honestly, I don't understand how he implements balanced in the Sonnet, but perhaps it might give you more voltage swing?

Maybe you can go the DIY route and try a MS-Ultimate Mod (Allesandro MS-Pro w/ grado liberators/distancers + GS1000 pads) YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back