What will teach in school next...
Feb 17, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Shrug.

Students could find way worse on the internet if they wanted to.

But I agree, the scale at which he was demonstrating "reactionary rates" is a bit excessive
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 17
i learn thing thta i need to know in school, everything recrational is done on the internet. ive explored explosives, poisens, drugs, ect. in fact i am 100% self taught when it comes to electronics (our school is so small, we dont even have any computer classes) but the best part about my school is that i get a 105 averaged into my GPA for browsing head-fi and building amps... sweet
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 17
jerb: Since you live in CT, and I lived in CT, can you please tell me HOW you did this?
tongue.gif
Extra credit or something like that? Which high school do you go to? Thanks.

As far as this event goes, I honestly hope this guy gets locked up, breaking the protection policies of students. What a sicko.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 17
What did he teach them to make, I wonder? I'm guessing something not terribly dangerous; perhaps a potassium perchlorate based one? It mentions black powder as well, so perhaps he was having them make that. It's actually quite stable stuff. Heck, even if you light it off, if it's in the open, it just burns. Low order explosives aren't really dangerous unless they're contained.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 17
My chemistry teacher taught us how to make mortar type fireworks, complete with sparklies and colors and a homemade launch tube out of PVC pipe. She didn't get arrested.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 17
It's a shame that you can get in trouble for actually teaching kids how to do something. If he was apathetic and completely ineffective (like way too many teachers are) maybe he'd still have a job.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 17
I had this incredible teacher back in high school that used to do cool experiments like that to try and get people interested in science. I actually heard that he quit a few years ago exactly because of situations like this. I am just glad that I will have enough money to send my kids to a school system that isn't crippled by people that are so eager to hammer anyone that even tries to peek "outside the box."

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
It's a shame that you can get in trouble for actually teaching kids how to do something. If he was apathetic and completely ineffective (like way too many teachers are) maybe he'd still have a job.

not to be a cynic. But the powers at be don't want students at public schools to learn. They just want them to obey and to buy the products they advertise on mtv and the superbowl.

Makes it easier for their children in private schools to get into MIT. The federally funded and state funded schools need to follow a curriculum that doesn't even require students to memorize the multiplications table. Yet they are required to do standardized tests??

I'm not joking about the multiplications table either.

The few that make it through the public system are then accepted to college, just to pad and make sure all private school kids graduate.

Making it super easy for somone like me.

the sad truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back