what ways to covert current to voltage (I/V) do you know?
Mar 3, 2004 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Glassman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking about designing some very nice DAC, I'll be using PCM1798, which has current outs and I'd like to know what are possible ways to do I/V conversion..

passive - resistor to ground

active - opamp w/ feedback resistor

???

you can list advantages and disadvantages of each method too..

thanks for tips guys (& gals if Morsel's 'round
wink.gif
)

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I -> V conversion eh...

1] Series resistor with output across it. You can use a POT to vary the output. This is a lossy method if there ever was one
tongue.gif

2] Use an inverting amplifier circuit...use Op-Amps or BJT's... This is a stable voltage source and you can get higher output with gain settings...

3] Combination of 1 and 2 with a op-amp buffer. Direct negative feedback from output and vin = v out but this is a current isolated circuit...you can draw high voltages without large current draw...perfect for those Sennheiser Headphones
wink.gif

Im no expert
tongue.gif

but are you considering building an amp to go with the dac? If you are then keep me posted on the design ideas that you have...I am interested in making one myself...

Also - what DAC method are you using? Successive approximation or asymtotic convergence? What about Jitter ?

cheers!

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari

but are you considering building an amp to go with the dac? If you are then keep me posted on the design ideas that you have...I am interested in making one myself...

Also - what DAC method are you using? Successive approximation or asymtotic convergence? What about Jitter ?

cheers!

idealy i'd like to end up with balanced voltage outputs that will connect to the gilmore's both inverting and non-inverting inputs.. i don't need volume control in analog domain since it will be used paired with computer..

huh! jitter is the only word i understand from the second paragraph
biggrin.gif
jitter should be non-existent in my dac since it will be master, soundcard which will feed data into DAC will operate as slave.. i'll be using either Tent's XO1 or Kwak Clock placed near the DAC chip itself..

also, cheers
wink.gif

I've been thinking about some tricks with OTAs like OPA660 or AD844 as seen in various threads on diyaudio.com.. like here: http://www.users.verat.net/~pedjarog...a1541a_dac.htm

ad844_c-b_i-v_sch.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back