What Wattage on Resistors, or which resistors for impedance adapter (like er4s) ?
Jan 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AudioNoob

1000+ Head-Fier
I was going to build an adapter and realized I didn't know which resistors to use, does anyone have suggestions which and where to get them? I think I want 75 ohms. I just connect one on each signal channel correct?

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I did the same thing with my Freqshow, soldering the 75ohm resistors onto my cable and terminated it with a neutrik plug. I used 1/4w resistors, that is all I could find here in Hong Kong, 1/8w(even smaller) will work as well. The 1/4w was a perfect fit inside the right angle Neutrik.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Considering that the sensitivity of the ER4s is 106 dB @ 1mW, you'll be bleeding from your ears before you get to 1/8 W. I doubt that there are many headphones that draw more that 1/4 W and for the few that do, you won't need an impedance adapter.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is there a polarity to the resistors for this?

Not at all. Unless you're OCD like me and line up all the colors across several resistors.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 10
I probably am
wink.gif
, oh and I was getting it for my superfreqs to use with laptop and while flying overseas, those airline amps pack a punch
biggrin.gif

So Is there an online store that I can get them from with envelope shipping? I'm looking for metal film resistors 1/8-1/4W 75ohm correct?

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 10
I'd just go to Radio Shack and buy an inexpensive DMM and more than 2 resistors while you're at it. You'll need to match the resistors no matter where you get them from, unless you spend a lot of money to buy very high tolerance resistors.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably am
wink.gif
, oh and I was getting it for my superfreqs to use with laptop and while flying overseas, those airline amps pack a punch
biggrin.gif

So Is there an online store that I can get them from with envelope shipping? I'm looking for metal film resistors 1/8-1/4W 75ohm correct?

Yep, metal film resistors in 1/8 or 1/4wattage. I'm actually using 100ohm resistors in my Freqshows right now, eliminates all noise from my Blackberry Bold(noisiest thing ever).

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 10
If you're still in Rochester (Mass right?) I'd try Mouser or Digikey if you want an online store.

Radioshack is just as good but you want the DMM to match resistors no matter where you buy them from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back