what was your first "wow" moment?
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

straden

100+ Head-Fier
Mine was like 8 years ago when I first spent money to buy non-bundled earphone...
I bought shure e4c and when i first plugged in... wow.... the detail , clear/smooth mid... sparkling high (of course compared to previous bundled earphone which i don't remember what brand)
I miss my e4c... it must in a box somewhere in the storage...
anyway it was bigger wow than when i bought my tf-10 / shure530

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 18
My first Wow I guess was in 1975 when my friends older brother put some Koss headphones on my 13 year old head and cranked Black Sabbath at level 10. I may have been stoned?

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 18
My first wow moment was when I had my using stock T50rps and sent them to a fellow here on headfi to mod for me. I got them back and nearly shat my pants. Then I got a pair of LCD-2s and that was another wow moment

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 18
The tours are horrible per say.  At best they sound average to me and at worst they're bad considering their price point, but they aren't horrible.  The K702s with a good amp and source were my first wow headphones though.   Chris Clouse + K702 are pretty amazing when paired with a good amp.  Really any artists that record well and take advantage of the K702's large soundstage sound good on them.  Except for metal.  I've never really liked metal.  I can never understand what the artists are saying.  My Java professor enjoys metal.  I always stop paying attention to him when he starts talking about why he likes metal.  Am I the only person that thinks this?  Also usually when I meet people that like metal they only like metal.  Is that strange?  What was I talking about again?

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 18
When my friend let me listen to his Shure 535. He had a piano track with some vocals playing and the voice still haunts me to this day. However I quickly realised that Shures were for me so I got the Westone 4R instead.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 18
The first one was when I heard my MTPGs for the first time, It was like someone pulled the cotton out of my ears after listening to $20 headphones before. The second was when I heard the monoprice 832O. Which was more of a "holy s**t" moment.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

The first one was when I heard my MTPGs for the first time, It was like someone pulled the cotton out of my ears after listening to $20 headphones before. The second was when I heard the monoprice 832O. Which was more of a "holy s**t" moment.

really.. monoprice? how does it compare to multi hundred dollar MTPG ?
...haha i should order one

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 18
really.. monoprice? how does it compare to multi hundred dollar MTPG ?
...haha i should order one

I'm listening to the monoprice right now instead of the gold. The soundstage is what really does it for me. The 8320s are rougher around the edges in terms of how they deliver the sound. Some songs sound worse than others, where the golds even them out and some say they are thin sounding, but for $7.11 you really can't go wrong. You should give them a shot.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 18
the first time i wowed was on head-fi.
i had some real money to spend and looked for the very best of a "real portable" solution. and as 95/100 of google links were from here, here i came.
to realize that all the stuff people were telling wonders about, were in fact bulky, or fragile, or bugged, or hissing, or not even playing mp3 or flac?!!!???!!!

the realization let me dumbfounded. to me it was as if the posts were talking about the best camera saying "this makes the best pics in the word, only little bothering thing, sometimes you will turn it ON and you won't be able to take a picture. i already preordered one at 15000$, can't wait to get it "
how blinded by our passions must we (yeah i m part of the loonies now) all be to even think about getting the fastest car that wouldn't turn left?  that was my WOW moment.

seriously, around 1985 i was 9 and someone let me try one of the first "discman" i listened to money for nothing. to me that was stronger than any concert or audio experience i ve had after.
nb: already the portable hifi industry was taking us for fools. the nice "portable" cd player would skip with every step you d make.
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be SKIPPIN'

i guess that s why sony called the rest walkman, cause at least we could walk with a walkman :wink:

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 18
iBuds   ->  Thinksound TS02. Wow!!!

Thinksound TS02   ->   Sennheiser IE7    meh...

Sennheiser IE7    ->    TF10....    WOOOOOOWWWWTFFFF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bowers & Wilkins P5   --> Ultrasone Ed 8  Woow...

Ultrasone Ed 8   ->  Grado SR325i   ..  meh....

Grado SR325i   ->  Sennheiser HE60/HEV70  ...................................................................  What is this voodoo magickz...  ..  this is impossible...

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 18
When I go back to my old fake $10 sony earbud............... "wow What is this sound" 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back