What type of volume dial do you prefer?
Jan 29, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 15
Digital should not even be an option. Someone give me one reason why it would be superior to analog? Even better, lets make it work with touchkeys!

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Analog all the way...the dials on my computer screen always end up over or under what I wanted.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 15
Well that's true. Though it still doesn't even closely cut it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Digital dials with a few voltage dividers to get a greater range. Would be the optimal solution.

For example, from 0 to -12 dB, it's purely digital, once you go over - 12 dB, a digital attenuation goes back up to 0 dB but there's a -12 dB voltage divider in the chain, so - 18 dB is - 6 dB digitally plus a - 12 dB attenuation. Repeat as many times as need with -24, -36, -48 dB... voltage dividers.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 15

Why's that? Even fairly extreme digital attenuation won't be audible with a low noise 24-bit DAC.

I'm talking about the feel. I rather turn a solid feeling volume knob than push some buttons.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 15
It would depend on the implementation and the application.  For a stationary home use system I would prefer an analog dial.  If its a portable setup that can fit in my pocket or a small bag then a up and down button is sufficient.  I haven't owned enough stuff to really see the pros and cons of each one other than aesthetically.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 15

Tried a semi-modern AV receiver or pre-amplifier? Most of them have digital volume controls, and some of them have very weighty knobs. I don't know of anything like that on a normal-sized headphone amplifier though. I voted digital, but I agree with you on the buttons thing. khaos I think you might like this:
http://boulderamp.com/2010-p1.html (don't bother looking up the price, it's ridiculous - I just mean for you to see the very fancy and well done digital volume control (1000 steps, digital)). 
Quote:

I'm talking about the feel. I rather turn a solid feeling volume knob than push some buttons.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 15
I have an AV-receiver with a volume knob. It just doesn't have any feel. Steps are also a downside unless there's insane amount of them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 15
I like the dial. I used to have a vintage Sansui reciever that my mom's friend gave me and it had a volume slider which was kind of cool but I like a knob better especially if it is a large fat knob if possible. 

Also, I like the knob to be a strong brushed steel too which is a nice touch. 

Lastly, I also like kurled knobs too for a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back