What to listen to on a Rainy Day?
Apr 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #16 of 32
Apr 19, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.

That's the first video I've seen of Wes Montgomery. How does he play so effortlessly just using his thumb?

i don't know most all time greats were play like that, coltrain, shorter, montgomery, except miles davis. damn jazz was good

May 15, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know most all time greats were play like that, coltrain, shorter, montgomery, except miles davis. damn jazz was good

Coltrane used his thumb to play guitar?

May 15, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that good music for a rainy day is -

The piano music of Eric Satie. My perferred version is by Pascal Roge but others play his music too.

- augustwest

Another vote for Satie. For afters, try out John Fahey, Best of the Vanguard Years.

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks would be a pretty good option. I like the Nick Drake suggestion too.

But if you are inclined to keep your head out of the oven, don't put on Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate. Suicide in the shower, abortion as social protest, meaningless narcissistic trysts with the chick who works the counter at the pawnshop. Coming to terms with the fact that your wife had an ecstatic revelation cheating with some laughable hippy-mystic who's split town. Joan of Arc weds the pyre, and all the mothers rush jubilantly out of the honeymoon suite to display the ashes on the sheets.

Jesus as spiteful, egomaniacal hunchback.

It's not just that it's depressing. It's not just that it's mean. Its all that and eschatological too -- and everybody's wearing flairs.

"The rain falls down on last year's Man
-- that's a jewsharp on the table
-- that's a crayon in his hand.
And the corners of the blueprints are ruined since they rolled
far past the stems of thumbtacks that still throw shadows on the wood.
And the skylight's like skin
for a drum I'll never mend,
And all the rain falls down,
Amen
on the works of last year's Man."

May 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 32
Cat Stevens - "morning has broken"
glorious voice and piano
Jimi Hendrix - "rainy day, dream away" + "still raining, still dreaming"
saxophone, keyboards and strat solos

May 16, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #27 of 32
Travis - Why does it always rain on me? (the album = The Man Who)

It's raining right here and now, so it's easy to give an honest answer. This is one of those albums I think every one should give a try at least.

May 17, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #29 of 32
the album "Rainy Day"

It came out in the mid 1980s. Members of Opal (which would later morph into Mazzy Star), Suzannah Hoffs (Bangles) and other "Paisley Underground" band members collaborated on this album-- contains really good covers of songs by Dylan ("I'll Keep It With Mine"), Big Star ("Holocaust"), and Buffalo Springfield, among others.

It really does have a rainy day kind of mood to it, and is perfect for listening to on a rainy day.

Also:

Bright Eyes-- "Every Day And Every Night"

Jackson Browne-- "Late For The Sky"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back