What to go for ?
Sep 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

InfernoUk

Head-Fier
Hey guys sorry havent posted for a while so dont know if this is still the right section, however

I have ad a pair of livewires (dual driver) for 2 years, didnt think that much of them and then they broke so i through them away, most amount of money ive ever wasted, I also have a pair of grado SR-80's which i also dont think much of as headphones, My main headphones are Astro A40's they are gaming headphones to use with my xbox, however they also sound amazing to me for music, im not sure of their tech details but they cost £110 (i assume due to branding rather than quality) and so im looking to get another pair of headphones, over ear full size like the Astros, but only for music listening, im also a DJ so something a little robust would be great since they will be in transportation a lot, aswell as using them for ipod listening when out and about. 

I dont really know whats good at the moment but based off what ive said is there a good place to start looking at? i dont want to get ripped off with a huge price tag for minimal delivery like ive had upto buying my Astros. The extent of my headphone experience is limited, the best uve ever heard were Grade 1000's or something similar? at a hi-fi show and ive not heared anything as good since, though obviously there price tag is to much for me.  

Budget is flexible though not loads since im a Uni student : p 

Thanks ! can answer any questions 

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 7
So are you looking for closed 'phones then?  What about other details?  What sort of music do you listen to, what sort of sound do you like, what kind of amp are you using?

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
So are you looking for closed 'phones then?  What about other details?  What sort of music do you listen to, what sort of sound do you like, what kind of amp are you using?

hey thanks for the time, im not bothered about closed or whatever but i guess that would be preferable, music wise i listen to drum and bass and also punk and american alt rock, sound wise i cant really explain since i dont know the words to describe, also i dont use an amp i have a 7.2 av receiver i could use or i will buy a dedicated amp if necessary but i want them to be good for taking out and about with my iphone as well.  

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
You might want to look at the audio technica ATH M50s, Shure 750DJs, or ultrasone HFI 580s.  They are closed, have good bass, and are fairly durable, and semi portable.  They should work well straight out of your iphone as well.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
You might want to look at the audio technica ATH M50s, Shure 750DJs, or ultrasone HFI 580s.  They are closed, have good bass, and are fairly durable, and semi portable.  They should work well straight out of your iphone as well.

thanks, so these are all better than the SR80's ? just ive always been pretty underwhelmed when spending over £100 on headphones so im a little cautious of them, my issue with the grado SR80 is that they lack bas a lot and arent over ear which i much prefer, so if these headphones all fit those areas i guess it cant be bad, which is the best of them? and are there any other options aswell ? its hard to buy off online reviews and never getting to test them out since there are no stores near me :p   

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 7
They're all different than the SR80s.  Those have a sound signature featuring rather aggressive and forward treble.  Since you didn't like it I suggested some phones with the opposite signature emphasizing the bass.

You can see the differences in frequency response on this graph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back