What to get with my $500 Amazon Gift Card (rs2i? rs1i? D7000?)
Mar 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kinkadius

New Head-Fier
Hello Everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster!

Okay, Getting to the point:

I love good headphones. The problem I've had for the longest time is that I only really get good in-ear models, and then get ghetto over head models. Observe my current selection:

1. Shure SE535
  2. Etymotic ER4P
  3. Beats by Dre Studio (don't hurt me)
  4. Beats by Dre Solo (I was in a bad place k?)

Recently I was given a $500 Amazon gift card, which I am excited to spend on some nice over head cans. I scoured the internet and came up with a variety of information that I've tried my best to distill. I see a couple of models that appeal to me, but I'd really like to get a pair that I know I'll treasure and keep around always ( much like my SE535s ). Here are some of the models I have been looking at:

1. Grado RS2i
  2. Grado RS1i
  3. Denon AH-A100
  4. Denon AH-D7000

What I like about these models are that they are from a industrial design sense nice wood pieces, which really appeals to me from both a sound and build sense. To be fair, I haven't heard any Grados or Denons in my life, but I hear good things on this board about them. All I know is that I need to be saved from my daily Beats by Dre headphones! I don't mind paying a couple hundred dollars more out of my own pocket if there is another tier I haven't considered.

Disclaimer: I have been lurking for days now reading, and I still feel lost. If there are threads that are similar, please excuse my good thread searching skills.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Sennheiser HD600 (I own the HD580, which is the HD600 with a different cable)

and 

Hifiman EF2A

Also since you're new, be weary of people telling you how to spend your money when they own crap gear and have never heard the setup, I got lead to a lot of bad purchases that way but I almost bet my reputation on that combo :)

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 8
A D7000 with an E10? Seriously? :) If you had said E17, I would believe it more. Gear should be evenly matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back