What to do with semi broken IEMs? (UE SF5pros)
May 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Subatomic

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So a few months ago one side of my SF5pro decided to break (the part that the cable plugs in to pulled out of the housing, making them useless). Since then, I spent ages doing research and eventually settled on a pair of Westone 3s which are fantastic. But the problem is, now i've got my UEs just sitting there collecting dust. What on earth do I do with them?

Obviously I could reshell them (probably with UM since they have a local dealer with their own network of audiologists), but that is going to require an outlay of at least $300, but upwards of ~$450 once you add another driver and get artwork added. What else is there that I could do with them? Is having a custom pair of IEMs really worth that much? My Westone 3s are so incredibly comfy and fit well... once you put them in you can't feel that you're wearing anything and isolation is top notch, so obviously I don't have a problem there.

Do you reckon I would get much if I decided to sell my them? Is there really much demand for semi broken iems to replace similarly broken ones or to reshell the drivers?

I dunno, i'm just torn with that to do with them and its pointless them sitting there collecting dust in my cupboard..... Especially when I loved their sound signature so much... The W3s are pretty different sounding, the bass is crazy and the mids are a bit recessed.

Aaaahhh what do I do head-fi?

May 9, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
you could do a reshell at kozee. its 89 $ including impression kit.

True. Whats their quality like?

Once I include shipping to and from here it ends up being ~$150AUS and that involves a lot of messing around.... and I including impressions and cables UM will do it for ~$300.... and UM will probably be better quality and the impressions are professional ones so yea.

Wonder if there are any other companies in Australia that do it... hrm.

May 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 8
you could check the custom inears information thread bei average_joe. There are all the companies world wide listed and wether they do reshells or not.

May 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
you could check the custom inears information thread bei average_joe. There are all the companies world wide listed and wether they do reshells or not.

Just had a look, they only really mention UM. Hrm. I really dunno what to do.... is the UM build quality really worth twice that of the Kozee? Would it be worth spending the extra money and get a driver added to make it a 3x driver setup?

May 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 8
in the mentioned thread aj is quiet satisfied with the quality of his kozee reshells. i dont know if it is worthy to add some drivers. for that price you could get a custom that might better fit your needs. 1964 quad or kozee x3 or what ever.

May 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
in the mentioned thread aj is quiet satisfied with the quality of his kozee reshells. i dont know if it is worthy to add some drivers. for that price you could get a custom that might better fit your needs. 1964 quad or kozee x3 or what ever.

True.... tho like I said I already have a pair of Westone 3s that suit my needs pretty damn well.... anything I do with the UEs will be of auxiliary use so I guess theres no real reason to spend too much on them.... I'm still having an internal struggle about what to do. I figured I could probably sell them on here and maybe get what, $50 or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back