What to do with a pair of old Shure IEMs?
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrDevin

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Shure E4c IEMs a few years ago and used them practically everyday. They've been good to me, but the cables have started to turn green in various places (from the copper oxidizing I would think), the connector has had most of its gold plating worn off and the plastic boots around the base of the earphones themselves has come off.

I've contacted Shure to see if I could get them repaired/replaced for a fee (as they are clearly out of warranty) but they won't repair them, as per their Canadian policy.

My question is what exactly should I do with them? They do work but they are in very rough shape. I've heard that Shure US sometimes replaces IEMs for a fee. Could send/sell them to someone in the US to be replaced? Has anyone successfully recabled them? Are there any guides around for repairing them?

After ignoring them for a year or so, I tried them again and I love how they contrast to my AKG K702s. Much narrower sound with more exaggerated bass and rolled-off highs that I never find fatiguing.

Although I really enjoy the sound, I'm worried about getting another pair (the SE series) for a few hundred dollars and having them fail after a few years too. Have the gold plated, detachable connectors on the SE535 eliminated the cable/connector issues I've had with cheaper Shure IEMs?

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 2
I like the Shure sound too, but I've had two pair of SEs (200 level) develop cable problems in under a year.  I think other people have reported problems with them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back