What to do? Serious help needed! (work related)
May 10, 2007 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate my job. I have for a long time. Some may know what I do, but for those that don't, I am a bill collector for a major credit card company. I deal solely with delinquent accounts and attempt to make the customers pay what they owe.

It is a scummy job, I realise this, but I long ago came to grips with the moral aspects of the job, and I treat my clients with dignity and respect until it is not given to me. That said, a large part of my day is comprised of yelling at my clients, reducing them to tears, or being yelled at myself. I have a thick skin. You need to to do this job, but it has been slowly beating me down to the point where I just don't want to do it anymore.

I work long days. 10 hour shifts. Tack a commute on that and I am only eating, sleeping and working half the time.

I am underappreciated. This years raise? 1%. That's right...1%. Not even the rate of inflation from one year to the next. The reasoning for the slap in the face? I got 9% last year and am the highest paid on my team. An effort to equalise the payscale.

It's not that I don't make decent money, I do, it's that I am one of the best collectors they have and I was given a 1% raise, versus the guy with a barely perceptable pulse that probably got 3%.

The company I work for make it as hard as possible to search for other work. In my contract it states that they can terminate me if they find out that I am actively searching for alternate employment. They refuse to give references, neither personal nor professional. They will only acknowledge that I worked there and my position held.

They scaled back our benefits. I am paying more, for less coverage. However, my live-in girlfriend is a contractor with the government. She gets no benefits, so we need mine.

I have been aggressively searching for other work. I have been invited to write 4 or 5 tests with the government and more this coming week. I assume these will be followed up with interview requests, which will be even more problematic to accomodate. The problem is, I have no more time to take from my current job. Any more absences and I will be fired. I can't tell my manager that I have a testing session or interview for obvious reasons, and I have used the "I have an appointment" line a few too many times already, and they will not approve a leave of absence.

I am between a rock and a serious hard place. The job that I have and hate is preventing me from getting the job I want, but I can't really afford to quit.

I have to go in this morning and ask my manager for the time off for two more tests I have scheduled for this coming week. It is going to be declined.

Suggestions?

May 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 42
Come in on crutches and say you have a doctors appointment those two days, but use it as a last resort.

May 10, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come in on crutches and say you have a doctors appointment those two days, but use it as a last resort.

And then what? Fake limp around the office for the next 2 weeks? I'm not that good of a liar.

Even then, the next interview/test I get invited for I am in the same predicament.

May 10, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 42
Whenever I had a job that I despised (not often) and I wanted out I would save up as much money as possible and move on. If you think you can land a job within a week or two and think you can swing it...just go for it. Honestly life is way too short to be unhappy all the time.

I really feel for you. I have a friend who works at a call centre for a credit card company and he hates it. I have also worked at a call centre, just once....for about a year, and will never do it again.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

May 10, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 42
I've been there too. In your position I would be as positive as possible at work, always thinking internally that it will soon be over, and on the days you need off, ring in sick for that day. Go see a Dr at some stage on that day and get a sick certificate for that day. Say you had the squirts or a migraine or something all last night.

Is that plausible for you?

May 10, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been there too. In your position I would be as positive as possible at work, always thinking internally that it will soon be over, and on the days you need off, ring in sick for that day. Go see a Dr at some stage on that day and get a sick certificate for that day. Say you had the squirts or a migraine or something all last night.

Is that plausible for you?

Unfortunately not possible. Doctors notes mean squat at my work unless I go on short term disability.

Also, the way that time off is implemented, they lump sick days in with vacation days in an effort to decrease the number of call ins. Meaning, if you don't take it as a sick day, you get it for vacation.

Sadly, mine is expired due to actual illness after a vacation to Dominican Republic earlier this year, as well as the number of times I have already had to call in sick to go write tests. I have no days with which to call in.

May 10, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 42
Sounds like your stuffed then!

I know you said you can't afford to quit but have you got any savings or can you get access to credit to live off until you do get another job? How confident are you of finding work quickly?

I would just quit. You won't lose anything by walking out anyway, you don't have any sick pay / holidays and they aren't going to give you a good reference no matter how good of terms you leave on so stuff em.

In your line of work and experience, you will find work temping as a casual or through an agency or something if you need it. I'm assuming there, I have no idea of the labour market where you live, but is that an option?

May 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 42
"Mother-in-law died" - my boss used this three times during the 13 years I worked under him, all while married to the same wife! Bereavement leave is usually two or three days.

May 10, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 42
Forget about the test. You obviously can't afford to quit just yet, so Work for 1-3 months and save, save, save (ramen for breakfast and dinner, forget about lunch). Then you can quit and look for a job then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back