What Sound Card, DAC, and/or Amp For HD 558?
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

XIX47

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this question in another forum (newbie mistake) on this site but I feel this forum would be better suited to answer my question:

A week ago I purchased a pair of HD 558's for gaming purposes for my relatively new gaming PC. These are my first pair of quality headphones so I wanted to try out something simple to start with. I have tested the HD 558 and while I like the sound quality, it is not very loud on full volume when it is connected to either my front audio jack or back audio jack on my computer case. I also think the sound quality is a little unclear in my opinion. I am not an audiophile so that is just my observations so far. I have heard that a sound card, DAC, or amplifier can improve the sound quality and volume control for these headphones. Is there any specific audio devices you guys would recommend?

So far based what I have read from various online sources, these look like potential candidates:

Asus Xonar U7
Asus Xonar DGX
Fiio E07K
Fiio E11
Creative Sound Blaster Z

In case of a scenario where I am not satisfied with these headphones, I would like whatever I decide to purchase to be good enough to power headhones with higher ohm than the HD 558. It seems like many other headphones within my price range are at 250 ohm.

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Soundblaster Z seems your best bet since you are into gaming. It will have good positional audio digital processing.

Hmm, my only question for the SB Z is will it equally perform well with both high and low ohm headphones? The HD 558 is quite low at 50 ohms and I heard that low ohm headphones SQ can be distorted by high powered sound cards. Otherwise it sounds like a good choice, especially since I can use higher ohm headphones with it if I decide to upgrade or replace my current headphones.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi, I'm currently building my own PC and I'm putting a Creative Sound Blaster ZXR in it. this has a module which plugs into it and comes around the front, for ease to change headphones and volume adjustment. Most sound cards included the Sound Blaster Z support up to 600 ohm headphones and maintain high audio quality with low ohm headphones. 
I'm also getting the sennheiser HD598 for gaming and movie for it as well.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Nice, I am probably going to order one of the Soundblaster Z cards tonight. I am leaning towards the Z since I have heard negative opinions on the audio control module of the Zx.
  Hi, I'm currently building my own PC and I'm putting a Creative Sound Blaster ZXR in it. this has a module which plugs into it and comes around the front, for ease to change headphones and volume adjustment. Most sound cards included the Sound Blaster Z support up to 600 ohm headphones and maintain high audio quality with low ohm headphones. 
I'm also getting the sennheiser HD598 for gaming and movie for it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back