What should I upgrade? Sennheiser HD800 + iFi Micro iDSD
Mar 6, 2018 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JvH26

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade something in my current setup. I do have a Sennheiser HD800 SuperDupont modded and an iFi Micro iDSD non Black Label. I have been looking into getting the iFi iPurifier 2 and am wondering if I should do that. Also I am wondering if I would get the iPurifier, would the quality of the USB cable still make a difference?

Other things I have been looking into are maybe a new cable for the HD800, I now still have the stock cable.

Should I upgrade my DAC maybe?

I want to make an upgrade that will make an audible difference and am wondering what is the best thing to do. I don't want to spend more than 500 euros or 600USD and rather don't spend that much.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 3
Unless your getting some weird noise from your usb I doubt that a purifier will make a big difference. I haven’t heard any of the ifi stuff with the 800’s say can’t say on that. They make quality gear . I like the 800’s from a Chord Mojo for a more portable rig(setting out on the back patio). Cables I don’t think will make a big difference either I find the 800’s to be more amp dependent meaning they sound better with some amps more than others. A new amp I just got the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid is pretty good with them with the Mojo used as dac. A bit brighter than the Mojo but better soundstage and dynamics as it has a lot more headroom 1 Watt for 50 ohms. My recommendation would be a amp more than cables or a new dac.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 3
Unless your getting some weird noise from your usb I doubt that a purifier will make a big difference. I haven’t heard any of the ifi stuff with the 800’s say can’t say on that. They make quality gear . I like the 800’s from a Chord Mojo for a more portable rig(setting out on the back patio). Cables I don’t think will make a big difference either I find the 800’s to be more amp dependent meaning they sound better with some amps more than others. A new amp I just got the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid is pretty good with them with the Mojo used as dac. A bit brighter than the Mojo but better soundstage and dynamics as it has a lot more headroom 1 Watt for 50 ohms. My recommendation would be a amp more than cables or a new dac.

Thanks! I'll look into amps. I would like to be sure the amp I buy is an upgrade from the Micro iDSD though, so I'll have to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back