What set of cans has the best earpads?
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had loads of pairs of cans, the disparity in quality of pads is something that i find annoying.
Now i always try to get a feel of the pads before a purchase.

The best i have had were (ahem) Bose AE1 pads, they are soft beyond belief but unfortunately
 sound meh.
Beats Studio pads are very nice as well, do 'style' headphone companies spend more on pad design?
The Denon D1100 have nice pads, comfy , well stiched but not quite soft enough.
HD598 velour pads are lovely as well, velour seems easier to do well imo, my AD700 were very comfy as well.
My experiance of Grado pads has been disappointing , cheap and scratchy.
I am looking at getting the Z1000 next , Sony have never impressed me with their pads though, are the Z1000 pads nice?

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 16
I make my own out of a fuzzy blanket and some pleather

I rather enjoy the ones on my Senn HD598, they push your ear far back enough to have the headphones not touch your ear at all. The velour is nice and the pad is soft and supportive

Bose has best pads, memory foam...mmmm.....

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 16
XB700 pads are godly. Really the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
XB700 pads are godly. Really the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Until the pleather get's to you and it's like a sweat shop. But the foam material was nice.

Quote:
I liked the LCD-2 earpads, they're so roomy you can fit a bus in them.

They were nice, but I found them to be too large and rolled off my fat head.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 16
Beyer pads have treated me the best so far.  AD700 is a bit more comfy, but honestly tha'ts moreso because it gives both no clamping force and no bearing force from the headband moreso than the actual earpads themselves.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 16
I've said it quite a bit, but for me the SR007 have the most comfie pads I've had the pleasure of trying.  I would love to try (and buy) the SR009 to see if it's as comfie or even more comfortable.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 16
Always liked the Qualia pads. Shame they stain easily. Comfortable with great materials though, feel super light on the head. Shame about the sound! 
biggrin.gif

The L3000 and Sony R10 have great pads. Warm, but really nice.

On the non-leather end of things, AKG and Beyer have great pads.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 16

Agreed on the Bose,  I have the quiet comfort 15s ,  used to travel a lot, trains and planes, they are even more comfortable than my Denons and Senns which are very comfortable indeed, a lot has been said about the Bose headphones generally, but ----- the quiet comforts are supreme sound isolators and supremely comfortable as well.
Matched with a good portable amp in my case Stepdance and good source, 5.5gen Imod , with the cable switch set to high, they are not too bad at all, gasp horror I hear, LoL .

Quote:.
I have had loads of pairs of cans, the disparity in quality of pads is something that i find annoying.
Now i always try to get a feel of the pads before a purchase.

The best i have had were (ahem) Bose AE1 pads, they are soft beyond belief but unfortunately
 sound meh.
Beats Studio pads are very nice as well, do 'style' headphone companies spend more on pad design?
The Denon D1100 have nice pads, comfy , well stiched but not quite soft enough.
HD598 velour pads are lovely as well, velour seems easier to do well imo, my AD700 were very comfy as well.
My experiance of Grado pads has been disappointing , cheap and scratchy.
I am looking at getting the Z1000 next , Sony have never impressed me with their pads though, are the Z1000 pads nice?

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 16
Haven't experienced too many headphones, but my HD555s are the most comfy to me right now. The pads are the softest I own. I know this line has been overused but I sometimes forget that I'm wearing them. Do they use the same quality pads on all the sennheisers?

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 16
K601
Bose Triport
HD-598
Maxell DHP-II (memory foam).
Denon D2000

The most comfortable pads I've tried are on the KRK KNS-8400. The 8400 pads work on my 6400 too.
They're also memory foam.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 16
+1 to custom pads. Real leather or microfleece and memory foam is a winning combo

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 16
I really like the Beyerdynamic 770/880 pads, like the gray or black velour.  They are quite comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back