What scientific breakthroughs do you foresee in the next 50 years?
May 4, 2009 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Huxley

1000+ Head-Fier
How different do you think our lives will be in 50 years time, if your an old fecker then your kids

For example - Do you think we will have completely clean and renewable energy production?

Space travel for the masses - to somewhere actually worth going to?

etc

What do you see happening?

May 4, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 46
I am pretty sure we will find out how to produce energy like you said.

Some other things:

- Manipulation of gravity (Hello flying cars)
- Holographic displays for watching, communicating etc...
- Cloning (humans)
- Unmanned operated vehicles for driving
- Man will no longer be in war but machines (operated by man)
- Humans living on Mars

And a ton of other things I can't think of at the moment....

May 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 46
Good:

Standardisation of home 3D television/film, eventually no longer requiring that the users require glasses thanks to advances in screen technology.

First simulated neural net / virtual complez brain, if not intelligence per se.

Nanotechnological advances effecting the character of consumer products (food texture and colourings - a new generation of Enumbers).

Cracking one or more methods of reliably contained fusion power generation.

Immunisations/treatments/cures for HIV, Altsheimers, Parkinsons. Cancer wont be cracked in 50 years but therell be better treatments than now.

EDIT: Off topic/political comments removed.

May 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 46
- More medical breakthroughs, a cure for AIDS
- China will become a major influential power.
- Space travel.
- New green energy sources.
- Holographic entertainment.
- Super personal computers.
- Robotic servants.
- Holographic virtual reality games.
- Extending life expectancy, slowing down the aging process.

darthsmile.gif

May 4, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 46
Melbourne to London in 2 hours - Hello Scramjets
biggrin.gif

And I want to be a part of that once I get my degree.

But I think the big one would be a replacement for fossil fuels being widely used. Its bound to happen sooner rather than later.

May 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope a cure for cancer but even more so I hope there will be a cure for AIDS.

Isn't cancer just a cell mutation? How are we supposed to cure that?
I suppose a way to kill cancer is possible...

May 4, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 46
A cure for aids is closer than you think

Quote:

Evolutionarily older monkeys produced this protein called retrocylin. It blocks the entry of the HIV virus into cells. The team found the gene that produced this protein in humans, albeit disabled along some evolutionary route.

PLoS Biology - Reawakening Retrocyclins: Ancestral Human Defensins Active Against HIV-1

Various body parts and organs will be replaceable thanks to stem cell research this includes teeth but eyes and other complicated parts might not be so fortunate.
The paralysed will walk again thanks to new nerve fibres that can be created.
The internet will carry n as always but under tighter controls, maybe some sort of war happens with the controls government try to put into place, people arrested for inciting cyber terror.

All cars will be electric and instantly rechargeable, more homes will have solar/wind power plus heated water and heating coming from underground boreholes where water is channelled through.

Some form of superfast jet transport using hyper scram jet or possibly pulse detonation engines capable of mach 25+, london to la in less than 1 hour.

Mass worldwide underground rail network providing 500+mph speeds to most major capital cities in the world.

Phones with inbuilt low power lasers to transmit display direct to the optic nerve centre.
Computers will become more integrated with daily life, each person having a neural implant to control devices at will whether it be cooking or driving a car.

Cars to become fully automated.

May 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 46
Singularity is gonna hit and I'm planning to integrate myself into the mass-machine consciousness. Might be the only way to stay "alive" once the robots can develop faster than us.

May 4, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 46
Looking forward to reliable fusion power. And ability to reconstruct/rewire nerves accurately giving us a possibility to build fully functional (or atleast almost, its hard for machine to replicate the delicate and accurate movements of human muscles) cybernetic prosthetics and perhaps later implants.

Oh, and quantum or organic computers! Perhaps relatively self-aware computer AI could be possible then, though I fear that would be rather dangerous thing to make. This is a bit farfetched though...

May 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 46
A change in the social structures due to extended virtual (computer) interactions instead of true interaction between humans. Increased weight problems. Hopefully a larger appreciation of true nature. A larger understanding of the deep seas (hopefully new findings in this area, new medicine, perhaps even biotechnology or useful genes).

Personally I don't think much will happen in 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back