What qualities are wanted for an IEM intended more for movies than for music?
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alec E

100+ Head-Fier
During my phase of buying every $200-$300 earphone that achieved much acclaim, I found myself keeping a $30 Sennheiser-branded earphone with me for use with streaming video. These had a much warmer and more bass-heavy sound than the triple-armature phones I preferred for music, and I found they were actually preferable for watching movies.

I now need an earphone to use with a new tablet, and I expect I'll be using the tablet almost entirely for watching movies. What should my bias be? I know what my biases are for earphones to be used with music, but for movies, I'm not sure. Just something with more bass, so that dialogue can be made out more easily? I'll be using them in rather noisy settings, too, so isolation matters. Specific suggestions are welcome. I'd prefer the price were kept near $100.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 8
Hmm - I really don't know how to answer this question. I would think the same aspects that make a 'phone good for music would make it good for movies - and in many movies, the music is a very important part of the movie. I suppose in action movies, booming bass would be important, but in movies heavy with dialog, the upper mids might be important?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Bass is indeed usually preferred by people selecting their headphones for surround or stereo home theater use. Everything balanced, but an upper hand in handling a little more bass is great. Are you going to be using a surround/virtual surround setup?

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Right, so don't get bass and don't get treble. In fact, just take the headphones off - that's probably the best...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

i thought neutral sound was good for movies...no extra bass no extra treble
but your idea is even better:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back