what premium headphones should my employing company stock?
Feb 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roosta

100+ Head-Fier
hello to everyone.

first off, a little disclaimer: i am a lowly sales adviser for a major UK store and head office have asked what premium headphones the company should stock through out 2012. i will not say which store i work for, all i will say we are big in the UK and electronics is a small part of our company. i am not here fishing for business, i will not name my employer, i do not represent my employer, all writings herewith are my own views and opinions. 
i read through all the terms of use etc and i dont think this post has breached any (i am not a member of trade, i am not selling anything, i am not advertising or promoting my employer) and this post is purely for advise. if a moderator takes issue with anything written by all means remove the post and send me a PM explaining the breach but please dont ban me (pretty please?). 

so far we have been stocking the beats by Dre headphones, from the basic in ear ibeats and tours, through the solos and solo HDs, up to studios and the detox ones. we also stock Bose headphones. both have been massively popular and sold very well to 2 separate target markets. now they are looking to expand their range. 

first criteria for this store is style. the beats sell well because the styling fits well into the stores image.
second is cost. they want premium headphones, not cheap crap headphones, but they need to be affordable. max budget is £300, but they want a range to meet all price points. a clear upgrade path is also a huge help ( eg, HD598 are better than 558)
thirdly we need a range from a manufacturer, not "one from here, one from there". 
and lastly they would all need to be designed as DJ or portable headphones. anything that cannot be played from an ipod/iphone is exluded instantly. headbads like the AKG K701 are no good, and any that cannot be worn around the neck should be excluded for style reasons.

so far i have thought from sennheiser: HD 518, 558, 598. HD 202, 219, 229, 239. and the new HD25 replacements the amperiors. maybe also the MM450 blutooth headphones. PXC range too. maybe IE80s dependant on price.  
they asked me about the Grado range, which i feel could be good, SR60, SR80, SR125 and SR225s. i have concerns about recommending open 'phones due to noise leakage in public places. our target market will not be using these at home, but while out in town. 

the Shure range, including in ears: SE115, SE115m+, SE215, SE325, SRH240, SRH440, SRH840. worried the styling of the SRHxxx will be too industrial and boring for our customers.   
the audio technica range looked quite good too, with the M50s, ES55, ES7, ES10(cost?) FC700 and SJ33. no clear upgrade path, but they could be some good headphones there. 

i looked at Denon but they get expensive too quickly. D2000 would be pushing it price-wise.
i thought the Phiaton range looked good aesthetically but no idea about sound. same with the V-moda range. the M80 are meant to be good, but we would need at least 3 other headphones to stock from Phiaton and V-moda. also not sure if their brand identity is strong enough. 
i think they will look at the Marshal, weSC and House of Marley range to compete directly with the beats (in SQ and looks) but they are not on my list to recommend to them. 

anything i have missed? i dont know the sony range at all, would they be good? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll second the V-Modas as solid cans for both style and SQ. So far, I guess their only good cans would be the M80s and the Crossfade LP2s, but I think the M100 is coming out soon as well.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I'll second the V-Modas as solid cans for both style and SQ. So far, I guess their only good cans would be the M80s and the Crossfade LP2s, but I think the M100 is coming out soon as well.

Ditto on the V-Modas
They look VERY nice, built better than Beats (Metal construction, can use that as selling point I guess)
Comes in on/around ear design, choose the model
People won't be afraid to drop these like other cans
Sound great, and is portable in all versions I believe

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 12
A definite vote to Audio Technica if you can.. I own the ES10s, and while they don't scream price/performance on an audiophile level (they're average in this regard), they'll compare excellently to Beats, Bose, B&W P5 etc. and the mainstream headphones while looking very classy and refined. It keeps in noise very well, and blocks enough for use in public. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Most DJ style headphone sell well, look into Pioneer HDJ-1000 and HDJ-2000, Sony MDR-v100 - v700 series, Denon dn-hp1000, Stanton DJ pro series.

Also I see you don't have any Ultrasone listed. They are well regarded and stylish, likely to sell well. Check out the HFI - 580 and HFI - 780 as well as the pro line ( pro 550, 750, 900)

I can vouch for the Audio Technica m50s as stylish, rugged, and popular. The popularity has lead to a 50% price increase over the past 12 months to only US$49 under MSRP.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 12
I was overseas in Asia last year and all the stores display the low end Audio Technica series starting at SJ-11/33/55 and ending at the M-50s.  

Even the low end AT headphones look nice. They really do have great style and frankly I was surprised I didn't see them at retail spots in the US when I got back here. The ATH ONTO for example is something I think ipodders would gobble up at retail as an impulse buy. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Sony XB series could be worth looking at; the top model is $299 US (I have no idea what the exchange rate is today, but that's probably less than 300 quid). They're closed, the series is easily understood (XB 300, 500, 700, 1000; they get progressively bigger and fancier too), they look neat, and for all I know they sound fantastic (I haven't heard any of them!). They are apparently adding some BA-IEMs to this line-up as well; http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644615399&N=4294945833 Sony also has a lot of other cool looking headphones (V700, V900, ZX700, Z1000, the MDR-SA line, and the F1s; most are portable, but I giggle at the thought of an MDR-SA being worn around the neck).

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Any reason you haven't looked at Skullcandy yet? Their Aviators look sharp, and the MixMaster is designed as a DJ headphone with dual source input (IIRC).

skullcandy have a reputation in the UK for being a bit poor. the aviators and mix masters do seem to be better viewed than the skulcandys of old, but im worried that stigma may remain. in addition, every store and their grandmother seem to stock skullcandy headphones at rock bottom prices, i think my employer want to differentiate themselves from other retailers and stock something new as we would not be able to compete directly on price. 

Quote:
Most DJ style headphone sell well, look into Pioneer HDJ-1000 and HDJ-2000, Sony MDR-v100 - v700 series, Denon dn-hp1000, Stanton DJ pro series.

Also I see you don't have any Ultrasone listed. They are well regarded and stylish, likely to sell well. Check out the HFI - 580 and HFI - 780 as well as the pro line ( pro 550, 750, 900)

I can vouch for the Audio Technica m50s as stylish, rugged, and popular. The popularity has lead to a 50% price increase over the past 12 months to only US$49 under MSRP.

the pioneer DJ range look good, will look into them. 
i own ultrasone 780's and the cord length makes them highly impractical for portable use. seriously, a 20 foot cord from my pocket to my head? this is why i cannot recommend ultrasones. they really shot themselves in the foot by not making it detachable and supplying 2 cable lengths. plus the headband is like a razor blade and they dont stay on your head very well either, not enough clamp and too much weight in the headband. 

Quote:
I was overseas in Asia last year and all the stores display the low end Audio Technica series starting at SJ-11/33/55 and ending at the M-50s.  

Even the low end AT headphones look nice. They really do have great style and frankly I was surprised I didn't see them at retail spots in the US when I got back here. The ATH ONTO for example is something I think ipodders would gobble up at retail as an impulse buy. 

good to hear about the SJ series, going through AT site also threw up the WS55 and WS70. it seems AT have replaced the good looking FC700 with boring looking FC707s. grr. 
so that adds the SJ11, SJ33, SJ55 and WS55 and WS70 to the AT range, looks a good collection. 

Quote:
Sony XB series could be worth looking at; the top model is $299 US (I have no idea what the exchange rate is today, but that's probably less than 300 quid). They're closed, the series is easily understood (XB 300, 500, 700, 1000; they get progressively bigger and fancier too), they look neat, and for all I know they sound fantastic (I haven't heard any of them!). They are apparently adding some BA-IEMs to this line-up as well; http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644615399&N=4294945833 Sony also has a lot of other cool looking headphones (V700, V900, ZX700, Z1000, the MDR-SA line, and the F1s; most are portable, but I giggle at the thought of an MDR-SA being worn around the neck).

the XB range will probably be stocked, the V range is hard to get in the UK by the look of it, and the Z range will be out of budget. we might be able to get the XD100, XD200 ZX500 and ZX700 though. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

skullcandy have a reputation in the UK for being a bit poor. the aviators and mix masters do seem to be better viewed than the skulcandys of old, but im worried that stigma may remain. in addition, every store and their grandmother seem to stock skullcandy headphones at rock bottom prices, i think my employer want to differentiate themselves from other retailers and stock something new as we would not be able to compete directly on price. 

the pioneer DJ range look good, will look into them. 
i own ultrasone 780's and the cord length makes them highly impractical for portable use. seriously, a 20 foot cord from my pocket to my head? this is why i cannot recommend ultrasones. they really shot themselves in the foot by not making it detachable and supplying 2 cable lengths. plus the headband is like a razor blade and they dont stay on your head very well either, not enough clamp and too much weight in the headband. 

good to hear about the SJ series, going through AT site also threw up the WS55 and WS70. it seems AT have replaced the good looking FC700 with boring looking FC707s. grr. 
so that adds the SJ11, SJ33, SJ55 and WS55 and WS70 to the AT range, looks a good collection. 

the XB range will probably be stocked, the V range is hard to get in the UK by the look of it, and the Z range will be out of budget. we might be able to get the XD100, XD200 ZX500 and ZX700 though. 

What about V-moda? I still think they fit the requirements the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back