What portable AMP to Buy?
Aug 10, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 36
mariowar: I beg to differ. The 325s are very efficient, but also VERY revealing headphones. A good amp would make a NOTICEABLE improvement upon them - they were certainly not MADE FOR or OPTIMISED for portable use....the fact that they work is just the nature of all grado heaphones (low impedance, decent sensitivity).

Aug 10, 2001 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 36
Coolvij, yes the 325 are VERY revealing headphones, and I never said they would never take advantage of a good amp........what I meant is that the TA is good enough to get the best out of them. And if you get a better amp, the improvement would not be as great as you expect for an extra price......
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

what I meant is that the TA is good enough to get the best out of them. And if you get a better amp, the improvement would not be as great as you expect for an extra price......

I doubt that....however, hi-fi audio is not a field where people usually say, I can get 90% of the sound of THAT $200 amp with THIS $100 amp. People say - that extra 10% is worth it...

Aug 10, 2001 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 36
A few things to consider:

- If headroom still has the old Supreme for $300 that could be a nice option, as long as you didn't mind the bulk of 4 D-cells for portable use (this applies to the cosmic as well). The supreme sounds a fair amount better than the TA even on the SR60.
- The TA crossfeed not only boosts the bass but also cuts the treble. With the right phones this could be welcome or not. With the Supreme or Cosmic you have a option on the treble with their filter switch but not the bass. Personally I find the bass boost too much for the SR80 but okay with the SR60.
- Someome posted the comment that the Grado amp's batteries don't last as long as they say. The TA's batteries do last a long time. And also the new TA does have a low noise floor.

Aug 10, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 36
I had a new TA...it has a low noisefloor, but it is audible and isn't the blackest background compared to other amps I've heard. In otherwords I can tell blindly when the amp is on or off with Grados regardless of source. The JMT amp however has an LED to tell me.

It isn't a big deal and most people would either not notice, or not care.

Aug 11, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
this thread belongs in the portable electronics forum.

Sorry Oh Lord Neruda
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 36
Okey Dokey
Things are getting more finite
Finally there wasnt so much deviation from topic
wink.gif

Though I dont mind it s more info he better
biggrin.gif

Do the following amps below have crossfeed?
TA
Supreme
Im talking about the new ones

What would be a better choice for obviously the Grado 325's
More Opinions Please
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #27 of 36
What kind of battries does the Supreme use?
Battery Life? Can it handle 240/250V current?

Asides that
For Grados 325's
TA or Supreme?
Obiviously Running out of my MD player
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 11:36 PM Post #28 of 36
disturbed,

Some people have suggested the DIY route. For the money and the sound especially the 325, I would contact JMT and ask him some questions regarding the CHA47 he has built for several of us. I have not done a review (with 325s) on it yet just enjoying the music and getting used the sound. Initially, full Grado sound, bass is tight, mids are smooth, highs are detailed without being fatiguing.

Joelongwood has sung the praises of the CHA47/Grado combo and I jumped on the bandwagon. A lot of us seem to think the CHA47 were made for the Grados (or vice versa!). Contact JMT with questions. He is great to work with. I recommend getting the CHA47 for your 325.

Regards - reynman

Aug 11, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #29 of 36
Thanks for the advice
But the thing is I am living in the Middle East so whoever makes a portable amp for me has to deliver it here also
and that costs
frown.gif
though I could save up
biggrin.gif

Thats why I was asking what would do the grados more justice the TA or the Supreme
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2001 at 1:13 AM Post #30 of 36
disturbed,

The money you save getting the CHA47 may offset the cost of shipping. But if you were going to buy any of Headphone's amps you'll have to pay for shipping anyway. You'll still save money in the long run and you're getting a top notch amp.

I'd still give JMT a message, it wouldn't hurt.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back