What newspaper do you read?
Aug 2, 2007 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I've lived in Indonesia & Australia, I still read their local newspaper on the web eventhough I don't live there anymore. I just can't kick the habit. I'm wondering whether others do the same and interested on what's your local newspaper that you read. Personally I prefer to read offline (actual newspaper) however reading online is the only way to go for overseas paper and it's free to read online for some national paper.

Jawapos is a national Indonesian newspaper based in Surabaya, east Java, Indonesia. Since I've lived in Surabaya and most of my relatives & friends still lived there, I've been reading Jawapos since I was in Junior high.

Kompas is the largest newspaper in Indonesia. I read them occasionally especially if there's an national news in Jawapos which I like to read from other paper.

SMH or Sydney Morning Herald is a national Australian newspaper based in Sydney, NSW, Australia. I read them daily for events happening in Australia. I've lived in Sydney for 2.5 years for college.

New York Times is my favourite US newspaper. I like reading them more than other newspaper. The company that I worked for got a library and they got several papers daily. They are Philadelphia Inquirer, Daily News, Washington Post, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today and Wall Street Journal. I read NY times daily. Other paper that I read occasionally are Washington Post and WSJ. I tried to read WSJ daily but I just can't get into it. I don't like USA today layout and IMHO Chicago Tribune seems the worst national paper that I've read.

Philadelphia Metro is a free local newspaper that I read daily. I prefer it than other Philly's paper (Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News. Eventhough Metro is free, their news is brief & detail enough for me to know any events that happens around Philly.

I also got my news from Yahoo & Google news. I set my igoogle to give me several highlight from several paper & news company (such as: MSNBC, Fox, etc)

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 26
No newspapers here. The comics section is the most important, but I can get comics on the internet. Then you have the news, but I just get that from Comedy Central now.

So no need anymore
tongue.gif

Also: digg + slashdot. Actually Digg sucks nowadays, but I still check it every day.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 26
The Internet.

In other words, I use aggregator services and for the most part am source-agnostic. Any print paper has an editor, and even the best of them have biases, even if subconscious. The only way to get any type of balance is to take them all together as a whole instead of focusing on any single one.

--Illah

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 26
New York Times online.

I rarely read our local papers. If I do, it's in the lead up to a local election so I know who is who and what there posiitions are.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 26
I canceled my subscription to the newspaper when our cat died and I no longer needed something to put under the litter box.

I quit watching the local news when I felt I needed to carry a gun in my own home and in my car to protect myself from all the home invaders and carjackers, and my children from all the sex offenders lurking behind every bush.

I naively feel much better now.

Ignorance IS bliss!
icon10.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 26
I try to read whatever paper is local to me in addition to the Economist.

So, at the moment that's The Advocate, out of my town of 4000 or the St. Louis Post Dispatch, which is almost as bad.

All time worst "big-city" local paper has to be the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal though... I wish to death I still could get the Tribune around here.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 26
I generally don't read the paper since I have the internet, but when I do it's the Plain Dealer of the Cleveland area. I subscribed online to the Washington Post for a while but have since ended that. Today the majority of my news comes from either forums or Yahoo.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 26
Subscribed to Economist and sometimes get a daily from the newsstand for the frontlines.

This might be a known fact but the Economist isn't a business/financial newspaper like the Financial Times, so it's really worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back