what mp3 format?
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bleemv1

Head-Fier
Hey guys, Just picked up a Sandisk Sansa E260V2 and it doesn't support rockbox at the moment. So what's the best mp3 converter? and how should I go about getting the best audio quality from an mp3 file?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 17
Download the LAME MP3 encoder (or use software that uses the LAME encoder, such as Foobar or MediaMonkey or many others) and use the -V0 (or -V2 if you want to minimize file size) setting. This will provide output that is indistinguishable from the source for the vast majority of listeners.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 17
There are more than one (1) MP3 format? Did not know...
If you mean encoder, then I highly recommend LAME.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Also, don't try and convert your MP3s into lossless formats like FLAC and WAV; it seems to be a common mis-interpretation that if you do so, you gain quality, which doesn't work that way.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xbox2xbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in foobar i use this

-S -b 320 - %d

i think that's enough good for portable audio

You are specifying a 320 kbps fixed bitrate and while that will provide the best possible sound quality it would be extremely rare to be able to differentiate 320 kbps from -V0 (variable bitrate), with -V0 making smaller files.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 17
I only have a minute to post so sorry for not providing details but . . .

I use Exact Audio Copy, with my DVD's configured for SECURE mode (it defaults to BURST mode when you first install it), and also have it configured with AccurateRip.

Then I also use LAME encoder3.98.2, with the "--preset fast standard" setting. This setting provides a great "quality vs size" comprimise, and most people (even with good equipment) cannot distinguish between the newly created MP3 and the CD original.

EAC and Lame Hydrogenaudio.com wiki

Go to www.hydrogenaudio.com and read the help guides on Exact Audio Copy and LAME.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I also use LAME encoder3.98.2, with the "--preset fast standard" setting. This setting provides a great "quality vs size" comprimise, and most people (even with good equipment) cannot distinguish between the newly created MP3 and the CD original.

Yes, that is the same as -V2 and is probably the best "quality vs size" compromise for most everyone, although it's not really much of a compromise SQ-wise since it's a rare (blind) test where anyone can really tell -V2 from the original.

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleemv1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about how big would the file sizes be using 320kbps -v2 ?

There is no such thing as '320kbps -v2' as the first term indicates a fixed bitrate and -V2 indicates a variable bitrate (the encoder uses as many bits as necessary for each frame, aiming for an overall average for the file (of around 192 kbps, for -V2.) This means that complex parts of the track may get up to 320 kbps, and less complex parts much less. The result is higher SQ than you would get for a fixed bitrate with a smaller file size.

If you meant 'about how big would the file sizes be using 320kbps vs. -v2?' then that would depend on the file but in general a -V2 files might easily be 30% smaller or more with no perceptible difference in SQ.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have a minute to post so sorry for not providing details but . . .

I use Exact Audio Copy, with my DVD's configured for SECURE mode (it defaults to BURST mode when you first install it), and also have it configured with AccurateRip.

EAC and Lame Hydrogenaudio.com wiki

Go to www.hydrogenaudio.com and read the help guides on Exact Audio Copy and LAME.

This is the same configuration I use, have used for a while and love (except for the "fast" option, I rip while I sleep or work). I A/B this against lossless whenever I get new gear and in my ears, I can't tell a difference.

Hydrogenaudio is a great resource. EAC Secure mode and AccurateRip are awesome; well worth the few minutes it takes to get configured (export the config file so you drop it in if you ever have to re-install).

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 17
I can tell difference between MP3 and flac/CD straight away. Listen to cymbals and low frequencies. I'd use a VBR bitrate, if you have a track with silence it'll still be using 320kps during that time (for example a 10 minute gap of silence will take up MB, unlike with VBR)

If I were to choose lossy it'll be OGG.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleemv1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, Just picked up a Sandisk Sansa E260V2 and it doesn't support rockbox at the moment. So what's the best mp3 converter? and how should I go about getting the best audio quality from an mp3 file?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

DBpoweramp is the best program if you don't mind paying a fee after your trial run expires. And, 320kbps is clearly the best (bit-for-bit) when concerning top knotch SQ. Although, the more efficient method these days for MP3's is -- LAME V0 @ 240kbps, which (as you probably already know) consists of VBR. V2 is probably your best choice if you're borderline on memory, but at that point you may start to notice a difference in sound -- should you be using high end equipment.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 17
Just stick with 3.98.2 LAME and v0 eac secure/accuraterips

And make a lossless backup just in case, I use ALAC since I have an ipod. FLAC also works well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back