What material to use for making custom tips?
Nov 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a friend who is an audiologist, and I asked her the other day how much it would cost to have her do ear impressions for me, just out of curiosity.

Her answer has now made me much more curious...
tongue.gif

I'm wondering if I would be able to make a negative of the impressions, and then pour in my own material to make tips for my RE0. I imagine the negative would be easy to make with plaster, and then I could make several pairs of tips to experiment with what diameter/angle works best for drilling a sound tube.

So, the question is: what type of material do you think would work best, and where can I find it? I'm wondering if there's some sort of rubber I can buy at the local hobby store, or something.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Woops... I meant that I would make the "positive" mold, not the "negative".

I'm assuming that the impression I would receive would be the negative, then I would have to make the positive mold to pour the material into.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Go for it! Just google silicone molding material and you'll find plenty of outlets, hopefully some place close to you. The most commonly used material for shells is acrylic (if you're going for your own custom shell). I believe Westone's custom tip - the UM56 - is made of silicone. On the DIY board, a bunch of us are looking at cool options, including carbon fiber.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for it! Just google silicone molding material and you'll find plenty of outlets, hopefully some place close to you. The most commonly used material for shells is acrylic (if you're going for your own custom shell). I believe Westone's custom tip - the UM56 - is made of silicone. On the DIY board, a bunch of us are looking at cool options, including carbon fiber.

Great! Thanks so much for the info. I wasn't even aware that there was a DIY board...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back