What makes the IE800 so special?
Dec 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Foocup

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to the whole audiophile scene so sorry if this is a really stupid question. What I'm basically wondering is what makes the IE800 so special? It's just a dynamic driver, what stopping someone from buying a similarly performing driver and plopping it in an empty iem shell? Is it tuned differently or something? Once again I'm getting the feeling this is a dumb question so please bear with me!

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 6
I was fortunate enough to be able to listen to a musician friend's IE800 and that was all it took to get me hooked and he explained that with a single dynamic driver that can cover the 20-20000 Hz spectrum with less distortion than multiple driver BA with crossovers takes some engineering as well as size ,shape and material used in an inclosure so no i would not say its just an overpriced dynamic iem especially after listening to them.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
But what makes them $1000? Obviously they can compete with other in-ears in that price range, but how much does it actually does it cost to make them? It can't be more than $300, I can't imagine the driver, which is the main selling point, costing a whole lot. What's stopping someone from making something similar? Is the dynamic driver used in the IE800 or something similar not available to the public?

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 6
The IE800s have their flaws. But the sq of them is amazing. When you get sq of that level you have to pay for for it. There are some design innovations included that aren't part of any tuning. Kevlar cable.
The hd800 might be possible to buy the parts for too but I don't see many phones around like them or that sound like either them or the ie800. They must be pretty hard to rip off.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 6
But what makes them $1000? Obviously they can compete with other in-ears in that price range, but how much does it actually does it cost to make them? It can't be more than $300, I can't imagine the driver, which is the main selling point, costing a whole lot. What's stopping someone from making something similar? Is the dynamic driver used in the IE800 or something similar not available to the public?

If you are talking about the Sennheiser IE800 driver, then I believe (that I read somewhere) that it is indeed a proprietary driver (a patented design) that is not available to anyone.

If you are trying to understand the price by means of the physical material involved, well, you're wasting your time. It's called capitalism. The price is based on what Sennheiser thinks the market will accept. Here's an example, over a year ago, I purchased the Audioquest Dragonfly from Best Buy for $250. I returned it in 2 weeks because I didn't think the sound and price matched. Recently, I repurchased the same device from Best Buy for $99. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who returned it. The initial price was too ambitious.

According to some, the iPhone is composed of a little over $200 in parts and sells for $600 to $800 (unlocked). It's possible that the physical material in the IE800 is no more costly than the earbuds that come with most phones. However, the sound is said to be premium (in line with equally priced items). I don't know personally because I've never heard it. But since it is still expensive (years later), I'd say they priced it correctly.

Believe me, I was shocked that both Sennheiser and Shure more than doubled the asking price from their previous to latest flagship IEMs.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 6
The thing is we all know you only need 1 set of iems as we only have 1 set of ears. If you add up all the money many headfiers spend trying to get the sound they're looking for they'll have spent the equivalent of the se846 or IE800s or a k3003is. To get something special costs the big money, of course there's always the 2nd hand route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back