What makes an Audiophile
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LorandCz

Sponsor: Meze Audio
Hi guys!

I started this thread to see how you see yourself as an "audiophile".

I started with testing my music with equipment but slowly migrated to the other end.

I know this is a very debatable subject so lets keep it civil :)

So, without any further ado, shoot away!

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 16
That is true, sometimes i forget the music and i just concentrate on the sound quality. That is okay, but silly if you always do it. Create a good sounding chain with critical listening then forget the equipment, enjoy the music you love.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm an audiophile and I love it. Love the vinyl and big tubes. Oh yeah!

That being said, out of laziness, a lot of my music listening these days is through cheap Logitech computer speakers and my crappy car speakers. I've also have been listening through some really horrible speakers at some of the coffee shops and retail stores I've been hanging out.

But it's been giving me a lot of pleasure I must admit. Concentrating on the spirit of the music is far better than concentrating on the sound the quality. It's kind of like loving your ugly wife. Yeah, she's fat and her face is rough but she's makes you happy!

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 16
I think everyone who is on Head-Fi is an audiophile- the simple definition is anyone interested in high-quality audio, and obviously, if you've bought good headphones, that's because you had an interest in higher-quality music. Otherwise, you'd just buy any headphones and wouldn't be here.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 16
I use the same definition Wikipedia does.

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.

Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of music reproduction: the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting.

Quality equipment is a prerequisite of high-fidelity sound reproduction, so it naturally follows that audiophiles care about their gear. Although etymologically, audiophile literally means "lover of music", some people distinguish between "audiophile" and "music lover" to differentiate between those who obsess over equipment and those who focus more on simply enjoying the music.

I have been a musician and music lover my entire life, but commonly refer to myself as a full-time hardcore audiophile / part-time extreme basshead. Most of the time I want to get as close as possible to hearing what is on the recording, but sometimes I just wanna crank the bass!

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 16
 In essence there is nothing derogatory or problematic in this statement - even if it is intended to be so! Because ultimately most "audiophiles" DO actually (or at least in my experience) listen to their equipment in order to get closer to the "essence" of the music they listen to! - whatever they believe that "essence" or its experience to be! The myth of the "natural" unmediated authentic "performance" is just that… a MYTH! Our brain mediates everything before anything else even gets close to the so-called "signal path"!!!

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 16
  I use the same definition Wikipedia does.

Quality equipment is a prerequisite of high-fidelity sound reproduction, so it naturally follows that audiophiles care about their gear. Although etymologically, audiophile literally means "lover of music", some people distinguish between "audiophile" and "music lover" to differentiate between those who obsess over equipment and those who focus more on simply enjoying the music.

I have been a musician and music lover my entire life, but commonly refer to myself as a full-time hardcore audiophile / part-time extreme basshead. Most of the time I want to get as close as possible to hearing what is on the recording, but sometimes I just wanna crank the bass!

Very true. I, too, am a music lover before an audiophile. Lately I've felt the need for better equipment when it comes to listening to music, though. I feel like there is a lot of the said "essence" that gets lost when listening to your favorite tracks on a low grade setup. I can still enjoy my music but sometimes I really crave for high-end quality. I like the music but I like it more with good equipment and it keeps going around. A vicious cycle maybe? 

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 16
  Very true. I, too, am a music lover before an audiophile. Lately I've felt the need for better equipment when it comes to listening to music, though. I feel like there is a lot of the said "essence" that gets lost when listening to your favorite tracks on a low grade setup. I can still enjoy my music but sometimes I really crave for high-end quality. I like the music but I like it more with good equipment and it keeps going around. A vicious cycle maybe? 

If it helps, STAX electrostatic earspeakers are by far my favorite.

By the way, I'm a fellow marketer and metalhead!
cool.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 16
  I didn't get the chance to try out the STAX unfortunately :/

And now you know that you have to drop me a PM with your favorite bands, brother!

They're harder to find in some countries. Worth importing, though!

On my profile, you can find a link to a list of my favorite metal bands. But I love nearly all music.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 16

They're harder to find in some countries. Worth importing, though!

On my profile, you can find a link to a list of my favorite metal bands. But I love nearly all music.

STAX are actually available in Romania. Now I'm really eager to at least try them out.

As for the list of metal, I see you're on the dark side haha. Very nice! 

I am curious how many audiophiles use black/ death metal to test their rig. Being more abrasive genres would make some think that it's harder to test a pair of cans even with a good amp. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 16
I have realized I am not an audiophile I just love hardware. But I guess it´s the same thing because we often see audiophiles as those that spend tons of money on the equipment rather then on records.

It´s the same in racing. We have people that do more of cockpit building then actual racing. And vice versa people that sit in the same cockpit if they even have one and just race. Where the cockpit builders often themselves maybe feel they are racers though they do more building then racing :). When it comes to racing I do more racing then cockpit building so there I am more of a true racer.

I hardly ever listen to music anymore but I have great use of my headphones for movies and games.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 16
I've never been around this general lounge section of the forums and I see I've missed a lot. So audiophile is the person who loves music? Would it be so simple as that? Because if so, wouldn't we all are audiophiles? On the other I love to deal with audio gears/programs/plugins to achieve better sounding music. Steve Guttenberg had a nice article about being audiophile. He concluded pretty well what is an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back