What level of encoding for smallest sacrifice of quality?
Sep 9, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 51
Hi!
Well recorded CDs and SACDs.

See you on the CD/SACD
blink.gif
Side of the Moon.

Adam

Sep 10, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 51
I tested 256k ogg files with a flac file from my laptop directly to my headphones and it was obviously different in the high end. With that in mind I still compress on the laptop, because most of the time it plays, is with its speakers. I do my quality listening with only cds.

Sep 10, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 51
normally i'd agree with this buy someone has proved me wrong scoring 90% on a blind ABX test in foobar. Mp3s for some reason do something to bass. From what i've gathered is that mp3s tend to sound bassier, but even this change is lost to me at 320kbps.

I cease to hear a difference in 192/256 depending on the type of song.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #23 of 51
I can tell 192 from cd on about 1/2 of songs. I haven't been able to reliably tell 256 from cd. I rip everything at 320. So far I haven't been able to tell the difference from cd, but, maybe I just haven't tried enough songs.

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
This might be a record for reviving the most dead thread of all time, I mean come on fellas, this thread is as old as Head-fi itself!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the straight-away answer from Jude was a dead giveaway!
wink.gif

/JF

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #30 of 51
Because I don't have a "true" home rig at the moment, all my music is being played as mp3's, ogg and wav files. Although the ones I listen to the most are encoded @ wav 1411 kb/s.... eats away at my Irivers storage space. I only encode at that because the Iriver doesn't take a version of lossless, at least I don't think it does. I need my home rig before I run out of space!
frown.gif

LOL, just realised how old this thread is...
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back