What is your ultimate headphone listening experience?
Apr 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dmcs414

100+ Head-Fier
What is for you the ultimate headphone listening experience?

Here are the rules-

1. List one song or track from a particular album/artist/label and the media format->

2. List one source playing your particular song/track. ->

3. List one set of headphones for that particular song/track & source ->

4. List one amp and (if applicable) opamps/mods used in this setup ->

5. List one set of interconnects for each device (if desired/applicable) in this setup ->

The pieces of gear you list shouldn't have to be owned by you, but it should be a setup that you've experienced directly somewhere. Desktop or portable, whichever you prefer.

I'd imagine this thread must have been done before, but I didn't see one, so please forgive me if this has been done ad infinitum already.

I bet nearly everyone in this hobby/obsession can think of one or two (but pick one) specific listening experiences & setups that really stand out as the end-all/be-all "this is why we do this" type thing, for them anyway. That's what you should relate, if possible.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 21
Mine's pretty modest:

iPod Touch 2g > no amp > nuForce ne9:
song: Raphael Rabello, "Tua Imagem" (the airiness of the guitar is something I use as a reference for other phones when I compare)--wav

There are other songs, but frankly I'm usually content with med-fi since my headphones are pretty good, but not the best.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 21
Mine was Youko Shimomura's "Somnias Memorias" from the Parasite Eve OST -> Fubar -> Keces DA151 -> Master Original -> K701

Song opens with a "birds in the forest" sound that gave me shivers when the birds seemed to fly around me, then opens with the thumpy beat layered under Youko Shimomura's weird non-sensical vocals and atmospheric synths. Was pretty engrossing.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 21
The headphone moment that struck me the most (not the best I have ever heard) was when I first got my APS balanced ER4 and plugged it into my RPX-100. What happened to the fairly humble ER4 when driven that way was just exceptional. The track I was listening to was the 5th movement of Charles Widors 5th Organ symphony but the experience wasn't really related to this particular track.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 21
I had one just last week actually:

Isabellina NOS DAC> VDH Integration>Stello HP100> ATH-W5000 Raffinato> Joe Bonamassa's Blues Deluxe in FLAC

It was a truly a deluxe kind of exprience, So sweeping real, and I'm so much more into blues for it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 21
More more more!!!

Edit- Mochan I'll be checking out that Parasite Eve OST. I also listen to quite a few anime and video game OSTs and actually haven't heard that one yet, but I remember the game of course.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Track: "it's like a music" by Miksolodyne-ts
Source: Asus M50Sv laptop
Headphones: AKG K 240 DF

It felt like listening to music in space. Whabam!

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 21
Latest was when I listened to the new 'Open Your Ears' Chesky sampler in FLAC

foobar (w/crossfeed plugin) -> Bantam DAC -> MiniMAX -> K701

Amazing clarity, definition, dynamics and punch.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 21
There are so many songs I truly love hearing every time, so it´s impossible to say an exact song. (Probably a song from Yum!Yum!ORANGE, midnightPumpkin or GOLLBETTY.)
Setup is my own current though...

PC: ALAC - - > Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P - - > Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X Grandioso

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 21
Source: FLAC from DIY mediaserver
Amp: Aune DAC/Amp with customer power supply
Headphones: ATH-AD700
Track(s): Darkside of the Moon - The entire album

I never understood the big deal Pink Floyd fans made about this album. I decided to listen to it in my modest secondary setup. After listening from beginning to end I understood!

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 21
Unfortunately, no headphone experience has ever rivaled my Klein + Hummel O 300D reference studio monitors in my studio. The clarity, authoritative sub-bass, the overall balance and accuracy, and the "wow" factor--headphones just don't have it (at least I haven't heard the ones that could rival full-range speakers). I'm still hoping I'd find a pair though--hopefully when my Denon D7000 arrives it'll surprise me.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 21
the best setup I got so far,and also the best I heard so far:

marantz cd5001(transport)>monster optical>headroom ultra micro dac>cardas 6" mini to mini cable>ultra micro amp>denon D5000.

pretty much with all my good sounding cd's,but one example is: dire straits-"brothers in arms" the whole album...I listen to metal the most but this is just a incredibely good sounding album.
did I forget somethimg...?

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Droplet 5.0 CDP
Sony R10 (balanced)
Audioquest Sky ICs
SP SDS-XLR

Sony SCD1 (transport)
Audio Aero Prima SE DAC
Audioquest Cheetah ICs
HD650 (balanced)
SP SDS-XLR

Purks tube modified Sony CDP
Senn. Orpheus system

Hard to pick one between these three.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 21
1. List one song or track from a particular album/artist/label and the media format->

La Musica Notturna delle strade di Madrid by Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, "Die Rohre - The Tube" SACD (Tacet)

2. List one source playing your particular song/track. ->

Esoteric P-05/D-05/G-03x

3. List one set of headphones for that particular song/track & source ->

Stax 4070

4. List one amp and (if applicable) opamps/mods used in this setup ->

HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE with Philips EL34 metal base tubes

5. List one set of interconnects for each device (if desired/applicable) in this setup ->

Oyaide AR-910

Users who are viewing this thread

Back