What is your most useful computer utility?
Aug 31, 2003 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Not counting background utilities, what is your most useful? Share some links too for your fellow Head-Fi members.

I'd like to plug Treeprint. Found it on zdnet and unfortunately it only runs on 95/98/NT. Who knows, maybe it'll work on XP or 2K. It runs in windows explorer and makes it easy to search or catalog certain folder contents. You just right click a folder and save as. If there are folders within folder it will create a sub listing in the same text file.

Example

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 34
Partition Magic has saved my ass on numerous occasions. It is the first thing I install on my computer.

Aug 31, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 34
FreshDowload (www.freshdevices.com), a freeware downoad manager. GoZilla used to be better, but it's gone ad-ware.

heavily into Mozilla too. computers are hardly any use without broadband internet IMO, and this is simply the best browser. the amount of spam in my mailbox dropped from 20 a day to just 1 or 2, I guess because I now decide which cookies I admit, and no more pop-ups either. Rules.

thats all I guess. I wish I could keep my computer up-to-date, but I'm still running WinME on a P3-800, TNT2 (ultra), 256 MB, 15 Gb HD. don't even have internet (need to go to campus for that)..

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 34
For PC's

1. An Anti-Virus program
2. PartitionMagic
3. PowerDesk Pro

For Mac's

1. LaunchBar
2. Audio Hijack Pro
3. Drive 10 (to be replaced by TechTool Pro 4 in future)

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 34
SpyWare Blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
Sygate Personal FireWall
WebRoot SpySweeper
Tauscan trojan horse detector

Aug 31, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 34
Winrar. Best program evar.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 34
No question -- InCtrl5 install tracker. Creates an HTML document after an install, detailing exactly what the install has changed (registry changes, files added, files deleted, system files changed, etc). In combination with the registry backup/restore on Win98SE it's helped keep my current install going strong and stable for nearly 2 years now (Win98SE). According to PC Magazine, it works on XP as well, and just about everything else.

Link to download: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,25126,00.asp

Edit -- oops. Fer chrissakes, PC Magazine is charging now for their utilities. It's probably available elsewhere through Googling.

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 34
sisoft sandra - tells me almost everything about my computer and more

bittorrent - dont need to say much here

spybot search and destroy

speedfan - system temps, fan rpm's, voltage rails

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 34
PowerArchiver: As simple to use as, but much more powerful than, WinZip

POPfile: Has reduced the spam getting to my inbox to nearly nothing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back