What is your ideal headphone collection?
May 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Autoholic

New Head-Fier
Just like a car enthusiast has that perfect garage full of cars in his/her dreams, I'm thinking audio enthusiasts probably have the same thoughts on their guilty pleasure.

I figured this would be a cool thread for a couple reasons. It may give us ideas on what headphones compliment each other nicely, or conversely, what headphones have similar attributes, possibly negating the 'need' to have both. I have to admit that I'm also posting this thread to learn a little more about different sound signatures / house sounds and how they compare to each other relative to others, from owners of all different kinds of headphones, and therefore, from varying points of reference. I hope this will help others like me too. :)

So the topic again: What is your ideal headphone collection?

I know there are members here that own ten, twenty, or even more headphones (yes, I'm jealous!) so to make it more interesting, let's limit the list to 5 cans. Each with their own reason to be in your possession -- whether each is for a different genre, sound signature, or use, or you just like the sound quality of each so much that you've just gotta have it, post it up and give your reasons!

If you're fortunate enough to already own what you consider to be the perfect collection, post it up and give reasons for why you chose what you chose!

And....Go! :)

May 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 6
LCD-X for home because it just sounds amazing and does not demand high power amplification

LCD-XC for work because it sounds like the X but is closed for noisy work environments

Sony MDR-7520 for on the road because it is super efficient and does not require an amp to sound good, and it sounds great, very good isolation as well for its weight and it is probably the most robust build in my lineup which is nice as I can throw it in a bag without a case and have no worries.

Beyer T1 would probably beat the 7520 for on the go use but it is a bit more anxiety in price and care or delicate handling... i would use a case here and not take this on just any trip but only one where i had all the luxuries coming with me.

ER4s for those really light trips where you want 100% isolation and great sound but you have to bring an amp and they can hurt the ears after awhile.  These are my ultra-light on the go choice, only wish it didn't need amplified.  Hf3 might be a better choice here considering all things.

and the cans I have yet to try but might be interested in are Stax but not sure if they would offer that much improved performance over the LCDs and considering they need a special more expensive amp.

my next upgrade will be once Audeze releases a graphene version of the LCD-X/XC... the LCD-Xg?

May 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 6
HD800 for classic music
Gs1000 also for classic music
LCD2 for pop music
RS1i also for pop music..

and I've already own two of them.....

May 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 6
HD800 for classical, some live rock, and anything with a big sense of space
PS500 for a laid back rock/metal can, jazz
RS1 faster rock, acoustic, jazz
AD2000x, rock, metal, female vocals, strings some jazz
K7xx for gaming

I already have 3 of these and really could do without getting the K7xx because the HD800 is awesome for gaming, I just don't like taking it anywhere outside the house.

May 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Probably Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 and AKG K 501 with some transparent amp for home use. And the beyerdynamic T5p for portable use. I hear the higher end beyerdynamics are really neutral and beautiful sounding. I've also heard that the AKG K501 is really perfect for classical music. Why have two headphones for home use? Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back