What is your favorite music to space out with your headphones on??
Apr 29, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 101
This is such a cool thread...keep those recommendations coming, my list is getting bigger and bigger.

Drones trilogy -- I totally forgot about that! Yes, awesome pic!

And Coil! Duh, how dare I forget my Coil...

And I can't find any Pan American, but I have a lot of his other band, Labradford.

And I'm also paying attention to your other recommendations.

Hi, Mason, yeah, there I go, forgetting about shoegazer/blisscent/dreampop/whatever, again. Duh.

Have I mentioned Lull, yet? I love Lull. Very cool on which to space out. Moments and Continue make a great introductory pair.

I think it was someone on this board that mentioned the Isolationism compilation (Vol. 4 of the ambient series, IIRC). Another good one in this "monochromatic dambient" vein.
very_evil_smiley.gif
(Sorry, that less-than-very-evil icon just is too happy.)

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #32 of 101
I'm liking this thread, too, because I'm starting to hear a few names I don't know and the ones I do I tend to like already.

Part of the reason I didn't list bands like Coil and the Swans is because I know people who've played with them or are them (I'm a studio musician in NYC). Something happens to your ability to listen objectively when you're familiar with people on a personal level. But I do wonder if you've heard of a band called Sulfur. The personnel includes Dave Ouimet, who played with the Swans at their very last show in London, and Michele Amar, who was the programmer for the Young Gods albums produced by Swans' drummer Roli M. I haven't heard Sulfur, but I love those two musicians.

There's a studio cellist working in NYC named Julia Kent who's been impressing me in the Coil mode. She used to play with a band called Raspartina which doesn't fit with our thread. But what Julia's doing now is subtle, spare and moody. You might want to watch for her name.

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #33 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
This is such a cool thread...keep those recommendations coming, my list is getting bigger and bigger.

Have I mentioned Lull, yet? I love Lull. Very cool on which to space out. Moments and Continue make a great introductory pair.

Wow, funny, as I have Cold Summer but haven't heard anything else by Lull. Very sparse stuff indeed.. it's actually been a few years since I've pulled that one out..

How about Main? I have a few cd's of theirs.. neat stuff to kind of drift off too.. if you like drony electric guitars.. Main formed out of Loop, another more song-oriented drony guitar band.. sort of Spacemen 3's more rocking brother..

Also along these lines is Bill Laswell's DIVINATION project..
Ambient Dub Volume 1 and 2 .. the slightly "world music" side of Laswell's dub visions, with lots of space too..

Oh.. and any Zoviet France fans around here? I used to play them a lot back in my college radio days.. they did some amazing minimalist ambient stuff..

oh and on a different tangent.. how about Tangerine Dream?
biggrin.gif

-jar

Apr 30, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #35 of 101
scrypt -- cool! Yeah, I know of what you speak (Re: not being able to listen objectively). Whenever I talk to a star (and I am still at the level where I am always awestruck), and they try to turn the conversation around to me, like "who is your favourite artist?" or some such comment, I always say, "you mean, besides you"...whether I mean it or not, just because I know they usually want to hear about something completely different...they're just plain tired of talking about themselves. At least, that's what I've observed.

Roli used to be in Swans? I didn't know that. I talked with the guys in Young Gods once, and they had just finished an album with him, they had a lot of good stories to tell. I think it was Only Heaven, now that I think about it.

Mason/Jar (which do you prefer? I've seen you refer to yourself as both at this point) -- yeah, I need to get back on AIM, you and I have very similar tastes, it never fails to surprise me...

And Main! Yeah, definitely trip out music. And :zoviet france:! Dang, dude, I really need to get my act together...I love those guys...

And Tangerine Dream! Yeah, I mentioned Klaus Schulze somewhere in this thread (I hope!), but I can't believe I forgot one of my favourite bands of all time...

Duh, must really cure this problem I seem to have with finishing sentences and remembering

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #36 of 101
I listen to Electronic/Ambient music in addition to Other types, like this thred says, Music to space out at night are some Good Ambient tunes and Dusty Clark's and wab's recomendations come closest to what i like But i would like to add a couple more Steve Roach's Magnificent Void and Ambient galaxy's Astro projection. I must say that still after all these years my Most often listened to Space music is Klaus Schultz's Moondawn. with the Aphex twin's selected Ambient works vol. II comming in second.

Apr 30, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #37 of 101
Space out music? Hmmmm.... I prefer the analog, sequncer-based bands, myself:

- Tangerine Dream (and solo works - Froese, Scmoelling, etc), of course - over 80 CDs
- Radio Massacre International
- Free System Projekt
- Air Sculpture
- Kubisschnitt
- Arcane
- Under the Dome
- Ozric Tentacles
- Ashra/Manuel Gottsching
- Jarre
- Vangelis (& Aphrodite's Child)
- Lucifaere (Jim Kirkwood)
- Projekts - King Crimson's ambient-styled offshoots

www.synthmusicdirect.com
www.groove.nl

May 1, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 101
Pink Floyd Can waste hours listening to them.

Jefferson Airplane

Doors

Looking at these I think they take me back to a different time and place.

John

May 1, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Space out music? Hmmmm.... I prefer the analog, sequncer-based bands, myself:

- Tangerine Dream (and solo works - Froese, Scmoelling, etc), of course - over 80 CDs

Funny you should mention that. I was listening to the Theif soundtrack just this morning!

May 2, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #40 of 101
Thief is a great album. They did some really cool soundtracks. I just listened to Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to the Keep. Really cool sounding - dark and mean and totally different from Thief, for example.

This CD is impossible to find, as only 300 were made and sold. I cheated, however, and had my brother steal it for me from Napster. It's MP3, opbviously, but sounds pretty good for all that.

If you like Tangerine Dream, check out Redshift. They're awesome.

May 10, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #42 of 101
well, with the current absence of interesting threads in this section, i thought i might try and resurrect this one: an old favorite that i just remembered is Lustmord/Robert Rich-Stalker

for those who havent heard this its music inspired by the incredible Andrei Tarkovsky film of the same name, which in turn is based on the Strugatski brothers' novel "Piknik na Obochine" which translates to Picnic by the Roadside. very spacy and dark, just like the movie. lots of dripping water sounds and very deep bass at seemingly random times, little melody, very quiet vocal snippets from the movie in the background. i guess what i really like about it is that its empty without literally being empty, like say, a lot of dark ambient and the like. theres still melodies and very recognizable sounds, they just evolve very slowly, with little silences in between

speaking of Lustmord and Russian people, I only have 2 of his cds but on the Lustmord vs. Metal Beast, there is a piece called "Heart of a Dog", which is the title of a Bulgakov novella, has anyone else noticed this?

May 10, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #45 of 101
Some music i listened too the last night and the Night Before while falling asleep to are some real mellow Acoustic electronic Compilations listed below, real nice

(1) NARADA COLLECTION = Precious waters, rivers of life. Narada# ND-63917.
This is native american Music with R. carlos Nakai, David Arkenstone, Kostia and michael whalen. This is fantastic Flute and Keybord music great to unwind to.

(2) Kevin Braheny's Galaxies. harts of space#HS-11004-2
This is a compileation of the floating music harts of space is famous for and really makes you feal like your taking a trip into outer space. Im have had this disc for years but havent listened to it in quite a while, Sure glad i did

BTW the Vangelis bladerunner soundtrack mentioned by Millerdog is also a great listen However it is alot faster paced than the CD's i listed above. as is most of delerium's Karma is my fav. by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back