What is worse than hearing a scratch on your favorite CD?
Aug 6, 2001 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
frown.gif

We need a crying 'smily' for this thread, sad isn't good enough.
Then again, maybe this is more appropriate.
mad.gif

I'm sitting here at work (on head-fi, not actually doing work of course
smily_headphones1.gif
) and listening to the Beatles 1 CD which I just bought at the beginning of the summer, and it's skipping like hell. I usually take really good care of my CDs, but somehow this one got scratched, it's so sad. Luckily, my parents own an exact copy of this CD, so I think I might just burn myself a new copy (which is what I should have done to begin with, stupid record comanies).

Does anyone else have any stories about hearing scratches on their favorite CDs? Unfortunately, your favorite CDs are also the ones that get listened to the most which opens them up to the most abuse, if only that weren't so.

Aug 6, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 18
Well, almost related to having a scratch on your cd is trying to use digital audio extraction w/ a cd-rom that doesn't do it very well. Wow, you get all the pops and hisses normally associated w/ vinyl, just w/o the vinyl sound!
rolleyes.gif

Aug 6, 2001 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 18
You could buy a new one. I realize it is an extremely rare item but I did see about 20 copies today at a music store
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2001 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 18
I get such a horrible sinking sensation in my heart when i hear my CDs start to skip. it's a horrible, horrible thing. i've switched back to jewel cases from case logic type things for this reason.

The bad scratches on most of my CDs are on the top of them, and often puncture through the thin plastic film to the data below, and are thus irreperable. it makes me want to cry. but, life goes on (sort of)

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 18
You know what's even worse?

A CD that you already know you love, because you've heard the MP3s, and can't wait to get, is finally available.

However, it isn't being pushed by the big record labels. Hell, it's actually from India! Great music - but poor distribution system outside of the country.

So you buy the disc for 5 bux (!
smily_headphones1.gif
), and then....you realize you've just found one of your all-time favorite CDs...

You upgrade your system - to one that actually sounds good - and NOW THE CD SKIPS!!! ON ONE PART! AND AWESOME PART!!

Now THAT is annoying....

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 18
sapphiremodena: Nice SN
biggrin.gif
. And yes - i am seriously considering getting the Panasonic 470A for my home system - my Sony D-121 is just, so old, and has quirks, and it is so antique, and nice....i'm obviously confused.
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2001 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Hearing your favorite cd when your source unwantingly oversamples the frequency playback of the cd before entering the DAC.

Aug 7, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 18
Grrr, check this out ...this may be the answer to your problem. i use it myself and it does work but so far i haven't tried it on really badly scratched CD's...unfortunately if its the foil on the CD thats damaged your out of luck...Here

After using Wipe Out i treat the CD with this...Here

Aug 7, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks squirt, maybe I'll try it. Most of my scratched CDs are all just the plastic side, not the foil side so that would probably work.

And why, not only does the scratch have to be on a good CD, but it has to be in the middle of your favorite track too. My Guns N' Roses CD is scratched right through November Rain
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back