What is the "SRS Powered Premium Sound"?
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

darkfireblade25

100+ Head-Fier
Does this SRS Premium Sound do the same thing as the Beats Audio driver as in change the sound signature and nothing at all besides that? I've been messing with it and I can kinda-sorta make it so it matches the signature of ASIO4All but I'm not too sure if it is improving the sound or not.

May 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 2
I would also like to know more about this. I haven't played with it much but since I've been away from CDs and vinyl at home I've only been able to run music off my laptop. I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop and at the moment (no DAC) and I have it plugged through the headphone socket to the RCA sockets of an old JCV 'Micro Component System' (CD/tape/amp) rigged up to two Sony bookshelf speakers (I don't know the model, the soundsystem came with the flat I'm renting).

With SRS Premium disabled I get a muffled sound. Bass impact remains similar but the quality of the bass is hugely improved when SRS is enabled. Mids are muffled as hell and the high end just disappears completely when SRS is disabled. On a Chubby Checker recording of The Twist, with SRS off I can barely hear the hi-hat. Turn it on and suddenly the drums are there, without becoming overpowering. The difference is huge without SRS - it's like going into another room, closing the door and sticking cotton wool into your ears. Soundstage is more than noticeably improved - without SRS, the whole sound comes from one point in front of me, in between the speakers. With SRS on, there's suddenly a band in front of me, with sounds coming from left and right.

Not every track sounded better, however. Turn On by Fischerspooner was arguably better without SRS. With SRS on, the track sounded thin and far away.

Granted, the system I'm using is incredibly low-fi. As far as I can tell from trawling the internet, IDT audio produce soundcard drivers which Dell decided to bundle with the line of laptop I bought. I think SRS Premium sound might be a programme bundled with the driver, designed to artificially enhance the signal coming out of the laptop speakers/hphone jack - so designed for exactly the kind of system I'm using and for boosting bass/treble extension on low quality recordings.

It would be good to know if anyone else has had any positive experince with SRS/IDT. I have just ordered a pair of Shure SRH840s, a fiio E10 and possibly a Total BitHead. I'll be interested to compare the sound straight out of my headphone jack with SRS running and the results with the fiio - I'll report back if this thread gains any interest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back