What is the purpose of making headphones open?
May 24, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #46 of 48

Not piercing highs, it depends on the frequency of the highs. Example grados have piercing highs when using bowls but they are low frequency highs and they dont contribute to the soundstage. It is very frequency specific, not just about random high frequencies.
Quote:

I don't really agree w/ all the talk about frequencies, as I always EQ my cans to kill the treble resonant frequencies...saying that a wide 3D SS requires piercing trebles couldn't be farther from the truth.

May 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #47 of 48

Quote:
the Smyth uses top range DSP, some sort of tailor made "Dolby Headphones"...like what Beyer did: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/headzonepro.htm

It's even got a tracker to know the inclination of your head
eek.gif

I was talking about a "passive" 3D SS...and I'm not really looking for room simulation tbh, I just want a wide SS on 3 axis simultaneously..not just a boring L/R.

Even if you don't want room simulation, you'll still need some kind of individualised HRTF processing to achieve what you want. There are no two ways about it. Moving drivers around, angling them and changing the size or material of the enclosure simply can't produce 3D sound like you hear in real life. Even the K1000 doesn't come close to that.

May 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #48 of 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back