What is the most simple 'idiot-proof' dap around for someone's FIRST player?
Oct 9, 2007 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I have a friend who loves music but hates technology of any sort. I know she wants a dap but has put off buying one because she's worried she wouldn't know how to use it.

As she's been a good friend, I'd like to treat her to one. But I don't want to spend a lot in case she can't get to grips with it. . . and it ends up on eBay
biggrin.gif
. . I know her entire music collection consists of about 20 CDs (everything else is on her computer) - and I know she won't need anything more than 2GB (for now anyway).

She'll need something really easy to operate. . . so
  1. No complicated software
  1. Simple interface with easy access to everything
  1. Average/good SQ, she just listens and enjoys. No critical listening here.
  1. Possibly a screen might be useful as well.
  1. 1 or 2GB capacity

I can't ask her about preferences as it's a surprise! And I don't want to give her something so complicated that it puts her off the joys of daps forever. But I'd like to get her started on something a child could use (almost!) Any suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, and I don't want to spend more than £50 ($100) as I have to ship to Canada on top.

EDIT: When I say she 'hates' technology of any sort, she can use her computer with no problems. It's more she hates anything that requires loading (software) or complicated instructions!

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipod?

Hmmm, not an iPod. I've read too many negative things about SQ on here, and while she's not too bothered about it - I'd still like to get her something with average/good SQ. Unless there is a 1 or 2GB iPod (apart from 1st gen shuffle) that sounds OK. . . ?

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 42
Consider the Sansa Express. Should have good SQ thanks to the Sigmatel chipset, and flash Sansas are typically super easy to use. (I got one for my M.I.L. a few years ago, she's the least technical person on the planet, and she uses it every day.)

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 42
Creative Labs Muvo V100 2gb. Drag and drop so no software needed, supports folder browsing which may be easier for someone who uses folders on Microsoft Windows, also a flash player so not only idiot-proof but abuse-proof too. The only downsize is that the sound quality is only average, it sounds fine with the KSC75 though.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 42
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. I looked at the Sansa Express, very small screen but still an option.

As for the Muvo - our version of average SQ might equal 'great' sound to her. I know she has a pair of $30 Sony headphones which she uses with her portable CD player and she says they sound very good.

Even though she happily listens to music without worrying about SQ, I'd still like to get her something that sounds nice so she'll have an idea of what's really possible in the portable audio world.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, not an iPod. I've read too many negative things about SQ on here, and while she's not too bothered about it - I'd still like to get her something with average/good SQ. Unless there is a 1 or 2GB iPod (apart from 1st gen shuffle) that sounds OK. . . ?

Every iPod sounds at least 'okay' and to say they're less than average would be to do them a disservice. Look at how many Head-Fiers have them. People really need to try a lot more players if they think iPods suck. I'd recommend the iPod for several uses, but most of all for a person like you describe. Using iTunes with a iPod is actually easier than drag and drop for many (tags, ripping - which you still need to do with something, etc.). Get a refurbished Nano on Apple right now for $79-149. Not sure about shipping to Canada.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 42
If you're buying something for someone who lives in Canada, buy her a DAP that's already in Canada, especially considering that she'll be the one who gets nailed for taxes, duties, and brokerage fees when the package shows up at her door, and those can represent a significant portion of the value of the item [I had to pay UPS $60 for my M3.]

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're buying something for someone who lives in Canada, buy her a DAP that's already in Canada, especially considering that she'll be the one who gets nailed for taxes, duties, and brokerage fees when the package shows up at her door, and those can represent a significant portion of the value of the item [I had to pay UPS $60 for my M3.]

Except that I'm in the UK. How am I going to buy something already in Canada? I can't even buy her something from Amazon.com because they only ship electronic items within the US. Same with the UK. The easiest way is for me to buy it here and ship it. I'll cover her costs if she gets charged.

blessingx I wasn't saying the iPod sounded 'bad' - just that I'd read a lot of negative reviews on here about SQ and the fact the EQ added distortion etc.

So I was looking for something that didn't have a 'known' sucky EQ
icon10.gif

Then again, maybe she'll think the iPod is great. It's not that easy choosing for someone else as I keep imagining what I would like, instead of what would be suitable for her.

However, these suggestions are very useful.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 42
I'd go with a nano, unless she's anti-Apple. The SQ doesn't "suck" on the latest gen iPods, it's just not quite up to the rarefied atmosphere of some iRiver or Cowon players, or the iMod. But, if she's not an audiophile, and you're not going to buy earphones that cost more than the player, it would be next to impossible to hear the difference, IMHO.

If you're dead-set against Apple, give the new Sony NWZ-series players a look. I just grabbed a 4G NWZ-S616 myself. Very straightforward interface. Great sound. Nice color screen that can show videos (tiny!) or photos. Feels solid in the hand. Long battery life. Files can be added by drag and drop with no extra software. It just shows up like a USB flash drive on the PC. If you want to get decent bundled earbuds with it, go for a NWZ-S8xx series instead. The lower capacity models are pretty reasonably priced. Plus, the Sony name will sound pretty good to most people receiving it as a gift.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.ebay.ca/
http://amazon.ca/
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/

Honestly... Canada isn't that far behind everybody else!

Well, I just looked at Amazon.ca and it doesn't even have an electronics category - although I did somehow find 4 Sansa players on it. But not a single other player at all.

I'll check eBay as well. . . thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, if she's not an audiophile, and you're not going to buy earphones that cost more than the player, it would be next to impossible to hear the difference, IMHO.

She's definitely not an audiophile.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

If you want to get decent bundled earbuds with it, go for a NWZ-S8xx series instead. The lower capacity models are pretty reasonably priced. Plus, the Sony name will sound pretty good to most people receiving it as a gift.

I have the Sony myself and I know it will be wasted on her with SS, plus it's more than I want to spend. I would consider something better in the future once I establish if she'll bother to learn how to use it. She has a habit of buying gadgets and then not using them and stuffing them in a cupboard.

So I don't want to overspend at this stage. First, I want to see if she likes having an mp3 player, if she still can't 'work' a simple one, at least I won't be out of pocket too much. If she loves it to death - I can 'upgrade' her in the future.

The first one is just going to be a test to see if she'll use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back