What is the most influential Beatles track?
Apr 27, 2007 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
my pick - 'Tomorrow Never Knows' (original). this has been my number one track for some time. My favourite review of this track stated that in a couple of minutes, John Lennon evolved music more than it had in the previous 500 years. a simply outrageous statement, but...i think i agree.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 22
I love the Beatles and I believe they are easily the most important and most influential band in pop and rock history. No contest. Bust that statement is patently absurd, and speaks only of one's ignorance. 1466-1966? Good lord. That is a frankly embarrassing contention. Beethoven, Mozart, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Chuck Berry, Mahler, Schoenberg, Coltrane, Elvis, Robert Johnson. Come on.

And even more so, that track wasn't THAT influential. It had a mild effect of adding the general psychedelic trend and that is about it.

For me, its hard to say which was most important, I think many were important in different ways. Obviously Eleanor Rigby and Helter Skelter were both important, but for complete different reasons.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously Eleanor Rigby and Helter Skelter were both important, but for complete different reasons.

Those would be my picks. Not necessarily my favourite, but certainly fits the bill for the OP.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 22
I'm going to hedge my answer a bit, and say that the most influential Beatles tracks (plural) were the five that they played on their first appearance on Ed Sullivan on February 9, 1964: All My Loving, Till There Was You, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, and I Want To Hold Your Hand. That performance was arguably the most influential moment in the history of rock and roll.

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 22
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - it created the hard rock genre, which I appreciate them for.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the Beatles and I believe they are easily the most important and most influential band in pop and rock history. No contest. Bust that statement is patently absurd, and speaks only of one's ignorance. 1466-1966? Good lord. That is a frankly embarrassing contention. Beethoven, Mozart, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Chuck Berry, Mahler, Schoenberg, Coltrane, Elvis, Robert Johnson. Come on.

And even more so, that track wasn't THAT influential. It had a mild effect of adding the general psychedelic trend and that is about it.

For me, its hard to say which was most important, I think many were important in different ways. Obviously Eleanor Rigby and Helter Skelter were both important, but for complete different reasons.

I think the purely musical influence only played a monor role. this track affected western music the way eastern philosophy detonated the minds of the dull continental and european philosophers a long time ago. I am certain the Beatles will be remembered far far longer, and by a larger quantity of people, than anyone on your list above. and i possess a deep respect for classical music, and its history. Just my opinion though!

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 22
A Day in the Life...

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 22
Most influential to the masses: Yesterday.

Its been called the most famous pop song ever written, and similar claims by various sources. I don't remember who, just something I read at some point in my life.

edit: But teenage mutant ninja turtles is a very close second :}

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Eleanor Rigby, I think. While there is much beauty to be found in rock music, nothing is so hauntingly lovely as when, in the final verse, Paul sings:

"wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave", with a cello following his every vocal move.

Sheer greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back