What is the default ripping bitrate when first using iTunes?
Nov 2, 2009 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ThePope3290

100+ Head-Fier
MP3 128kbps maybe? Because I remember using the default for so long because I knew nothing about high-end audio...but a year or so ago I switched to AAC 256kbps. I also converted all of my defaults to AAC 256kbps. Was that just a waste of space? Did they stay at the default quality but just grew in size? Or does switching from MP3 to AAC after the rip actually improve quality?

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Yes, converting one lossy codec to a larger lossy codec just grows the files size without gaining any sound quality, and actually degrades sound quality by re-compressing them. You should have left them be.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 15
The default is 'iTunes Plus', meaning ~256kbps AAC (VBR).

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 15
Too bad, but you better rip it again...

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 15
apple lossless!
hard drive space is cheap man... I just upgraded my macbook pro to 320 gigs, with a faster hard drive than before, for $80.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 15
can ipod plays apple lossless files as well? what do you use to convert flac to apple's format? if so i think i'm just going to consolidate everything under itunes, i prefer its interface.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 15
Yes, it can play ALAC but tbh, I wouldn't bother putting lossless on portables and would rather use 192kbps AAC on an iPod.
192 kbps AAC > 320 kbps mp3 for sound quality and uses less bitrate. (I've got scientific spectrogram evidence for this, thus it's not subject to a highly variable ABX test tbh. ABX tests have so many variables that can affect it, I dunno why people use it tbh).

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can ipod plays apple lossless files as well?

Yes, all iPods since some 4 yeas back play Apple Lossless. Except the iPod Shuffle that is.

Quote:

what do you use to convert flac to apple's format?

I use and highly recommend Max.
Does FLAC to Apple Lossless conversions without a hitch, complete with metadata and artwork transfer.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 15
crud, it's mac only, but it looks like a very good program
smily_headphones1.gif

i suppose for pc is going flac->wav->alac is the best way?

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Check out dbpoweramp

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

This is what I did. You loose all the metadata, and its kind of a chore to go back and re-input it. If its only an album its not to bad. An entire collection of music... I wouldn't dare attempt it.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it can play ALAC but tbh, I wouldn't bother putting lossless on portables and would rather use 192kbps AAC on an iPod.
192 kbps AAC > 320 kbps mp3 for sound quality and uses less bitrate. (I've got scientific spectrogram evidence for this, thus it's not subject to a highly variable ABX test tbh. ABX tests have so many variables that can affect it, I dunno why people use it tbh).

...Really? I was using 320 AAC to rip my CDs but started using LAME V0 and am re-ripping everything because I heard it's better (and I needed to use less space). I can't stand listening to 192 kbps AAC, but I have a VERY hard time believing it's better than 320 kbps mp3. That makes no sense.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 15
As a follow up i've been using dbpoweramp to convert flac to alac [thanks! works great] but I read some people had compatibility issues playing the dbpoweramp's alac files on their actual ipod?

Now i won't have mine for a week
angry_face.gif
so I can't test yet but now i'm not sure if i should be concerned about having my entire alac library "unofficial", since it wasnt created with itunes own encoder. And a side thought, would creating new alac files in itunes from dbpoweramp's alac files (i.e. reconverting them with itunes encoder) safe-proof these alac files? I noticed when itunes creates new alac file it's actually a tad smaller. Ugh it'd probably be nicer to do away with this apple proprietary nonsense but i confess i just like ipod/itunes too much
frown.gif

edit: i think i'll just use dbpoweramp to convert to wma lossless, then have itunes itself convert to alac, a bit laborious haha but perhaps safer

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by forgotten_hell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Really? I was using 320 AAC to rip my CDs but started using LAME V0 and am re-ripping everything because I heard it's better (and I needed to use less space). I can't stand listening to 192 kbps AAC, but I have a VERY hard time believing it's better than 320 kbps mp3. That makes no sense.

robotrockspectrums.png

What you have is placebo effect. Also AAC is the most accurate codec while Vorbis has the best compression. mp3 is a distant third in those three on both counts.
If I could choose, I'd use AAC but since my Fuze doesn't support AAC, I use Vorbis at ~210kbps (the point where it achieves the same accuracy as 192 kbps AAC).
Also it makes perfect sense as all use different algorithms and AAC and Vorbis uses more complex and much better, more efficient algorithms than mp3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back