What is the deal with this mega-warhouse 3rd party merchants on half/amazon?
Dec 24, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jjhatfield

Frank
You know the ones I'm talking about: dvdlegacy, moviedogpound, caiman, and a dozen others, these mega CD/DVD warehouse sellers that have EVERY CD OR DVD YOU SEARCH FOR IN STOCK! They all seem to have ratings in the range of 87%-95%, which is pathetic when you consider the sheer volume of their sales. I recently tried to order a Joy Division live album from one of these sellers (actually whose rating was 99%), knowing damn well they wouldn't have it in stock (because like, nobody does). It's been two months, and every week I receive a placating email about how hard they are trying to get my album in stock, its on back order, they are continuing to attempt to find it, etc. I mean what the hell? Isn't there some kind of rule on amazon or half.com that you can't sell an item you don't have?

How do you think this would fly on Head-Fi?

---

Thread Title:

FS: Grado RS-1

Message Body: All our items are BRAND NEW in the original manufacturers box.
Only 450USD, paypal only, thanks for looking!

PM to me from buyer:

Sure I'll take them!

PM reply from me:

Sure, send paypal payment to superheadfonesawesome#1@hotmail.com and we'll get them out ASAP! Thanks for choosing jjhatfield!

*one week later*

Buyer:

Hey man, haven't received those Grados or heard from you, have you had the chance to send them out?

Me:

I'd like to thank you once again for choosing jjhatfield. Unfortunately, the item you ordered is not in stock at the moment. The item is currently on backorder, and we are working hard to get your item to you as soon as possible. Thanks again for choosing jjhatfield!

---

Seriously, could someone tell me what the people who work for these organizations are doing? Do they all sit around in the warehouse and play ping pong, and just like, check the computer every three days and say, "oh f--- dude we got like, a ton of orders", then they run back to the warehouse and look "sh--, man we don't have these CDs, send him the email". What are they thinking when they list an item they don't actually have? How do they think that will go over with the seller? Do they think that will be all cool? Like, NO PROB bro you don't have my CD even though you listed it and I paid for expedited mail and you already have my cash because thats how these sites work. It's cool because we are all human beings and I love you brother, I understand. Wait no I don't, this is total horsesh--. What if I went to Best Buy, picked up David Bowie's "Low", because I clearly saw they had a copy available, took it up to the register, handed the cashier the money, and then he took my CD, put it under the counter, and informed be that David Bowie's "Low" was currently on back order, and thanks for shopping at Best Buy. And I'd be like, "But hey man, I saw you had it in stock, thats why I brought it up here," and he'd be like "We are trying hard to get your item back in stock, it is currently on back order, we will let you know when we receive your item. Thank you for choosing Best Buy."

Well, when I see a CD on the shelf at Best Buy I assumed they have it in stock. And when I see someone listing it for sale on half.com, I foolishly assume that to be the case as well. Note I'm not really angry about this, I actually have gotten quite a few giggles out of the emails, but I'm just wondering what like, I mean what is their business model, you know? Who's brainchild was this? Lets start a business selling things we don't have?

I've suddenly got a great idea for a restaraunt:

jjhatfield: Thanks for choosing jjhatfield's steaks, seafood, pizziera, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, sushi bar and sports grill and bar and jazz brunch New Orleans cuisine and tacos, what could I get for you?

Man: Sure, we'll start with some nachos, and I'll have the t-bone for my main course.

Woman: Yes, the oysters in brochette look delicious, I'll have those.

jjhatfield: Sure, I'll be right out with that!

*one hour later*

Man: Where the hell are our nachos?

jjhatfield: Unfortunately the nachos you ordered are not in stock. They are currently on backorder. We are working hard to get your nachos.

Woman: But they were on the menu, if you were out why didn't you tell us?

jjhatfield: Thank you for choosing jjhatfield. We are working hard to get your nachos to you. Thank you again for your patience.

To boot, even if they do have it in stock, it always takes 2-3 weeks for you to get it. I've mailed things before, I would have to really, really try hard to mail my sh-- that slow, you know what I mean? Throw it in a padded envelope, put a few stamps on it, and put it by the mailbox, it'll go anywhere in America in 5 days, tops. The mail carrier comes to YOU, you don't even have to go anywhere. You just have to put down your diet snapple, tear yourself away from that episode of Mythbusters for like, two minutes to get up from the ping pong table and go back into the warehouse to get the CD. Thats it, you can have it out that day.

Thanks for letting me rant, and happy holidays to all of Head-Fi!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back