What is the best portable amp with iPhone, ipod integration?
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

audioslave909

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a small high quality portable amp that can plug into my iphone via apples port with enough power to run Headphones.   It seems like a lot of the ones that are highly regarded on here either have a long wait or aren't available anymore.

I have heard AOL audio's amp and it sound great but wouldn't mind a bit more compact.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 22
I think the Pico slim will fit the bill very well and there are some in the for sale forum that you can get right away without having to stand in line.  I think there is even one in the first 250 unit meaning you'll get life time battery and warranty.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 22
I think I know what you mean by "apples port". You're probably going to be better off getting a LOD for your iphone and just using that with any portable amp of your choice. Fiio amps work pretty well with iphones. They are coming out with a portable amp in March that is especially for mp3 players like the iphone. Heres a link to the thread about it.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527342/e11-a-new-start-of-fiio-s-portable-amp 

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 22
Yes ALL amps have "Ipod integration" if you use a LOD to 3.5mm or to a RCA jack. BTW if you are going to get a LOD DONT get the fiio L3. I have got it and it looks very cheap and has durability issues.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 22

Eh that alarms me, I have yet to get one but I was planning on the L3, which would you recommend? I do almost all my buying on Amazon and there isn't much to choose from with LOD's...

Quote:
Yes ALL amps have "Ipod integration" if you use a LOD to 3.5mm or to a RCA jack. BTW if you are going to get a LOD DONT get the fiio L3. I have got it and it looks very cheap and has durability issues.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 22
OK. So if I get the Fiio cable then I use any Amp with a 3.5mm input.  How are these amps then rated.  How do you know you are getting better or cleaner signal than using the built in pre-amp on the iphone, which is pretty good for one set of headphones but would like to have a little extra power for full size cans or running two earphones with a splitter.  Does the power output control volume on these small mini amps?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
I think the Pico slim will fit the bill very well and there are some in the for sale forum that you can get right away without having to stand in line.  I think there is even one in the first 250 unit meaning you'll get life time battery and warranty.

How does the Pico slim attach to the iPhone?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 22
The Rx II remains the only amp I can think of which presents a slimline pairing with the iPhone/Touch - both have similar height/width dimensions and, paired with the Algorythm Solo, its arguably an attractive stack, if somewhat bulkier than the rig many here would like:

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
How do you know you are getting better or cleaner signal than using the built in pre-amp on the iphone

If you use a line-out dock, that's a cleaner signal by virtue of the fact that you've bypassed the amp. It's line-level, you can't get it cleaner unless I've missed something about the line-out being "dirty" and thus degrading the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioslave909 

Does the power output control volume on these small mini amps?

Sorry, what do you mean by this? Amps connected to iPhone or iPod via LOD (line-out dock) bypass the iPhone's/iPod's own volume control.

Quote:
How does the Pico slim attach to the iPhone?

By a LOD. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you use a line-out dock, that's a cleaner signal by virtue of the fact that you've bypassed the amp. It's line-level, you can't get it cleaner unless I've missed something about the line-out being "dirty" and thus degrading the signal.

Yep, and if you use the USB connector to the Solo, you bypass both DAC and amp - pure digital Nirvana, or at least thats what they are promising over at 32 Ohm Audio. That, my dear Eric, *should* be cleaner than the line-level signal from your LOD. albeit at several times the cost of a good LOD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back