What is the best portable amp for use with my ipod classic 160GB 7th gen and my computer on a $100 budget?
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chuckle490

100+ Head-Fier
I will be using it with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 550's. I listen to EDM so it will need to sound good for that type of music. Also I use Windows 8 on my computer so it needs to be compatible with that. Thank you!

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I will be using it with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 550's. I listen to EDM so it will need to sound good for that type of music. Also I use Windows 8 on my computer so it needs to be compatible with that. Thank you!

Fiio E07K, $89, will work with iPod (amp part only) and a Wins PC (amp & DAC) USB port.

Or get the Asus Xonar DG sound card ($25) for your computer
and a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) for use with the iPod.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I think I'll do the second option, and use the sound card until I can get a maverick Audio tube magic D1 so I can bypass it.

You can plug the Magic D1's optical into the Xonar DG optical port, so you can use the DG's Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound and the Magic D1's DAC and headphone output.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Would that not bypass the sound card?

Nope.
If plugged the Magic D1 into the motherboard's optical connection, then that would bypass the Xonar DG sound card.
But the Xonar DG can pass Dolby Headphone surround sound thru it own built in optical port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back