What idiot at Sennheiser.....
Feb 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
Decided to make their portable cans practically impossible to drive from a DAP?
I had the PX200s, they were fine out of my IPod but the newer 228/238 and '4' series are terrible out of a DAP even my cowon has issues with them.
Someone must have thought that was a bad idea during testing surely!

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 14
I have PX-100's, and I tried the II's and the HD-238's.  My Sansa Fuze didn't have a problem driving any of them.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 14
I know some people are going to get cranky with me saying this, but none of the ipods I owned were able to drive anything well, not even IEMs
confused_face.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Decided to make their portable cans practically impossible to drive from a DAP?
I had the PX200s, they were fine out of my IPod but the newer 228/238 and '4' series are terrible out of a DAP even my cowon has issues with them.

Any ideas why that might be? Are they just as inefficient from an amp, or something peculiar to iPods etc.?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Really? How bad are the differences? I didn't get a long audition, just a short one in the noisy Apple store, but I got reasonable volume from the Sennheiser 228/238s at least. They also sounded better than anything else in the Apple store, though it's not saying much.

PS. I want to shave your mustache.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
[...] the newer 228/238 and '4' series are terrible out of a DAP even my cowon has issues with them.

Hello,

I'm using the HD 228 headphones on a daily basis since they were made available on the market in May 2010.

I have no trouble at all to drive them with my iPod touch 2nd gen, nor my iPhone 4. They do an excellent to block the external sounds when I ride on the subway. I get plenty of bass while the volume is at a reasonable level (~ 50% - 60%)

Maybe you got a "Made-on-a-Friday-afternoon" unit?

Cheers,

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 14
I dont think i got duff ones, if you google hd228 or 238 with amp or quiet there are loads of others who agree. An ipod doesnt drive them well.

some quotes

So, I got the 238's and am fairly happy with them. Need a headphone amp now tho, these puppies are hard to drive. Even my netbooks output wont go loud enough
frown.gif
and my phones output is limited as well with these.

Just got a Sennheiser HD 228 for my 4 weeks old Cowon S9. Strange enough the loudness is verry soft even when the volume is put on 100 procent loud.

I plugged the HD 228 headphones in and right away I noticed a problem. The sound was so quiet I could barely hear it. I tested my other headphones (HD280 pro, portapro, koss KSC75, worthless earbuds that came with a lame ipod) and all of them produced much more voluminous sound from the same source.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 14
Something's funky because there are obviously people here who aren't having a problem.  QC at Sennheiser?  And I know that the jack on my Sansa Fuze can be a little picky.  The wierd thing being: it's never had a problem with any of the Senn's I've directly plugged into it, but I have a few 1/4" to 1/8" adapters, and none of those play well with my player.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 14
It is not just a  Sennheiser thing. With an amplifier like the E5 my HD428 sounded slightly better but I preferred the less warm presentation without E5. I will admit the E5 is not much of an amplifier but it works.

The Panasonic RP-HTX7 sounded veiled without amplifier but even out of my E5 the overall clarity improved a lot. 

My source was either my phone or my Clip +.

Some low impedance headphones just need more power imput. My Pioneer Monitor 10R is one such headphone. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 14
No problem whatsoever driving any of those headphones from any of my portable players, including my iPod touch, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

p.s., I should have mentioned that I listen at no more than what I consider to be the top range of safe listening, and that this is near the top of the volume range on my players with these headphones. So I think this is really just a debate about how loud people can safely listen to music.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 14
Don't know exactly what's happening, maybe it's manufacturer tolerances, but my HD238s are just a bit more sensitive than my KSC75s. Just tried it, had to set the volume control 10% higher to get the same SPL (roughly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back