What headphones you plan to buy next
May 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 192

GCX-15

New Head-Fier
I currently have the trifecta, AKG 701, Sennheiser 650, and sony SA5000. I mostly listen to the senns because they are more comfortable and have a nice big sound. (Are these better cause they're made in Ireland?...). The next group of headphones I'm planning to buy are, sennheiser 800, Grado PS1000, and Beyerdynamic T1... they're the more expensive better kind. But I'm content with what I have now for another couple more years until I get the money.

May 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 192
I will probably won't get new gear in the next 6 months or so because lack of cash,but when i will it will probably be the ultrasone ED8 which i started to check out only recentely or the grado PS1000.

May 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 192
I have...see sig..., and I've listened to almost everything out there. I haven't yet to find anything that I like better than my stuff (that includes all those 1K $ FOTMs), so I gotta please my consumption structures elsewhere...

May 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 192
I'm probably going to get an ESW9 when I get my AD900 sold. After that, who knows.

May 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 192
I was planning on buying the T1's but I've decided against it. I'm going to mod my 332 a bit and maybe get some IEMs and a new Audio-GD DAC

May 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 192
Edition 8 first and then maybe the HD800
wink.gif

May 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 192
I have a JVC DX700 coming next month so that is my next purchase....

The biggest thing for me really now is deciding how much money I want to pour into a DAC... I am thinking either getting the Oppo B83SE with the new Emotiva DAC or only getting the AudioGD ref 7... big difference in price but I am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to fully balanced on the DAC end so that when the time comes, I only have to recable my headphones and get a new amp instead of upgrading everything. Audio GD would be like 1/2 of my summer earnings too... so that is pretty rough.

The Meier Concerto is so good that I will stay SE for another little while.

Lastly I am considering all kinds of headphones... AD2000, A2000X, DT800 600-ohm, Pro 900 and possibly retrying the K701... I don't know if it is really worth getting into the new top-tier headphones... I could buy all but one of the headphones I just mentioned for about the same price of an HD 800, after taxes, in Canada...

Hi-fiman H5LE is pretty interesting too but the construction quality of the first makes me hesitant, and the W1000X I have is supposedly better/on par anyways.... and there is always STAX!!

I think I might end up not getting any more headphones for a while and just pouring a lot of my funds into CDs though... What good are more headphones without music?!?!

May 8, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 192
Lately I've been thinking about getting a pair of ATH-M50s... although I'd like to try a pair before I make that decision

May 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 192
I bought my W1000X off ebay and at the time the guy offered me a pair of DX 700 he was looking to sell too, but obviously I was short on funds. However, being a head-fier and a greedy little piggie, I told him I did want it :p. He told me he would hold on to it for me until I could pay for it. He was nice enough to hold on to  it for me, for 3 months at a very decent price. So I will be honouring the arrangement!

The DX1000 does interest me, but the boomy bass, rolled off highs, and colouration comments make me wary, especially considering the very high price. The DX 700 is supposedly just as good, but with tighter bass, and a much better price in this case. So it is a lot less risky for me. I am hoping for the same touted soundstage of the DX1000 but with tighter bass. The only review that compared the two indicated that much so I hope they were correct!

Basically, if I like the DX 700 enough, I will/might look into the DX1000, but at the current price, it is too much of a risk. Also, IMO the wood on the DX 700 looks way nicer, and I already have bass monsters like the D7000 and Pro 750 :p. At ~1000 there is a lot of competition.

What did you think of your DX 1000? Why did you sell it?

May 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 192

Quote:
Lately I've been thinking about getting a pair of ATH-M50s... although I'd like to try a pair before I make that decision

there seems to be a torrent of m50 recommendations lately.
so... guess what i did on a whim today?  i went to guitar center and bought a pair.

i wasn't expecting much.  after all, i've sort of grown accustomed to open phones.  however, once i put them on, and cranked them up - straight outta the box i was mightily impressed.  especially considering you can snag these phones for a benjamin or so.

so, this confirms several things for me:
1.  i like colored phones.
2.  i would probably love the w1000x
3.  price isn't everything
4.  maybe i'm a closet basshead? 
biggrin.gif

whenever $600 comes my way, i will probably get the ath-w1000x. 
skylab just posted the review, yesterday i think it was... 
still trying to get used to the new head-fi.  reviews in their own realm...  
confused_face(1).gif

May 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 192

Quote:
there seems to be a torrent of m50 recommendations lately.
so... guess what i did on a whim today?  i went to guitar center and bought a pair.

i wasn't expecting much.  after all, i've sort of grown accustomed to open phones.  however, once i put them on, and cranked them up - straight outta the box i was mightily impressed.  especially considering you can snag these phones for a benjamin or so.

so, this confirms several things for me:
1.  i like colored phones.
2.  i would probably love the w1000x
3.  price isn't everything
4.  maybe i'm a closet basshead? 
biggrin.gif

whenever $600 comes my way, i will probably get the ath-w1000x. 
skylab just posted the review, yesterday i think it was... 
still trying to get used to the new head-fi.  reviews in their own realm...  
confused_face(1).gif

The main reason I'd like to try a pair first is that I worry I may be expecting too much of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back